Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Who ate Mysore Pak???

Place: Main kitchen of a hotel in Chennai, India
Time:9:30 hrs
Date:July 3rd, 2009.

I was in the omelette station of the breakfast buffet. Prajwal aka Rocky was doing night shift & was with me, till he could finish the mise-en place for lunch buffet, as I instructed him. Suddenly he came to me & told me, "Gaurav, Chef PN is shouting in the kitchen & asking everyone, who ate the Mysore Pak which was left in his table last night". We started smiling ...[Mysore Pak is an Indian sweet, or rather south indian sweet, made with roasted pounded gram flour, ghee, sugar--it is very sweet & is heavenly!!!]

Actually on the previous day, someone got a box of Mysore Pak for Chef PN. Chef PN doesn't like sweets much so he thought putting it in the buffet on the following day. On July 2nd I was doing evening shift. After Chef PN left hotel, many guys started getting into chef's office. Someone told me, "Gaurav bhai, people are eating Mysore Pak from Chef's office". I didn't care much & continued my work.
Around 11:50 pm of July 2nd, Prajwal came in to do night shift & we saw a bunch of hooligans getting into Chef's Office to taste the dessert...I went..had a couple of sweets & went away...who knew that such a small thing will lead to a big issue!!!

After the breakfast was over, Chef PN called me in Chef's office.
Chef PN asked me, "Gaurav, yesterday evening, I had a box of Mysore Pak left in my table, but when I came today morning, I saw most of the sweets have been eaten & the box left here. Do you know who all ate it?"
I know Chef PN in & out--how does he behave when he is pissed off--he was pissed off then.
I replied, "No chef, I am not aware of any..."[I lied...I hate lies, lying & liars!!!!]
Chef PN asked me, "Are you sure?"
I said, "Yes, I am".[Shit..I lied again]
Chef PN, "Ok fine...". I left the office.
***
A couple of hours later, I saw some guy talking to Chef PN in Chef's office. It was a long session. Remember, this guy, named as "S" was first one, who inauguration of the "Mysore Pak eating ceremony". I was afraid, he is revealing all names...
After 10-15 minutes he came out & told me "Gaurav, Chef PN is calling you". I went to the Chef's office..
Chef PN: "Gaurav, I have a list of 6-7 names, who all ate the Mysore Pak...[I was telling myself.. "Okk..."]
                 however, your name is there too."[Well, now I am caught..someone must have let the cat out of the bag]
I : "Yes Chef, I ate".
Chef PN: "Then why did you lie in the morning?"
I :Chef, actually I was afraid as you were in a bad mood & any such revelations will further spoil the scenario. Honestly, I felt bad when I was lying, but only for the common benefit, I lied.
Chef PN continues, "Then tell me, who all ate it?"
I answered, judiciously,with description too....
At the end, Chef PN said, "Ok...thank you Gaurav...I know you are a good boy [This is cliched now..]& dont tell anyone that you have informed me & call those guys, who all ate it".
I went & called those guys who also had their share of mysore pak.
They all went & came out after sometime. I asked them, "What happened?"
All said, "Chef PN said that Gaurav told me, you all ate Mysore Pak!!!!"

Simply horrible....

No comments:

Post a Comment