Monday, March 15, 2010

Streetfoods...

My roommate was telling me yesterday that the streetfood is always the best. Seriously, keeping the hygiene & sanitation conditions apart, streetfood is really *excellento*. I was born in Kolkata--here you get lots of streetfood. Today morning I saw a colleague rolling a paratha, filled with cheese & two fried eggs & named it as "Paratha Sandwich"--well, in Kolkata[or Calcutta] you will call it as "Egg roll". It is a very popular streetfood around Kolkata & Bengalis simply love it.
If we look at the history of this "Egg roll", we find that it was actually meant for mounted police, who had little time to spare for nourishing themselves. So some benevolent cook came up with this idea, of putting some kebab in a paratha & some condiments like sliced onion & lime juice in it---thus "Roll"/"Kathi Roll" was born. However, this didn't stop people from thinking further. People started the "Roll" revolution with all kinds of stuff--Mutton Kabab, Chicken Tikka, Eggs, Fish, Paneer, Vegetables & what not..& added to that they got a lot of condiments too..from Ketchup to Bengali style mustard [Kasundi].

The streetfood in Kolkata is not limited to "Rolls", there are some more...Fritters/Beignets/Pakora as we may call in English, French or in Hindi--in Kolkata it is also famous. Bagbazar, a popular place in the Northern part of the city,is famous for its fritters, in bengali often referred to as "Chop"[Not the chops of meat..]. Eggs, Fish, Cauliflower in winter, Aubergine, Vegetables, Banana flower, & numerous...a typical Sunday evening for Bengalis is incomplete without a big bowl of puffed rice, drizzled with some mustard oil & an array of "Chops" & chit-chat[where it is known as "Adda"].

Now the national contribution to Kolkata's streetfood is "Chaats". Delhi is famous for its "Chaats", however, in Kolkata too you will find loads. Papdi Chaat[fried flat breads], Aloo Chaat[with Potatoes], & what not. I remember, during my childhood *Sundays*, my father brought me two portions of Papdi Chat--I loved it so much that I ate all for my dinner..
Then in my frequent hangouts---alone or with friends, Papdi chat is my alltime favorite.

Coming to the most important one amongst Bengalis. Worldwide & across India known in a number of names, what Bengalis call it as "Phuchka", Delhites call it as "Gol Gappa" & Worldwide it is known as "Pani Puri".I remember, one of our Geography Teachers in school was describing the earth as "World is like a Phuchka" & she was so fat that we all named her as "Phuchka"!!!
 Anyways, jokes apart, this phuchka or Pani Puri is a small Puri [a fried indian bread] is stuffed with a potato mixture with onions, masalas, boiled chana, & then dipped in Tamarind water [the "Pani", water as we call in Urdu] & then straight to the mouth....

Well, those are the streetfoods of Kolkata. Next is Mumbai, where I spent a couple of months. I cannot think beyond their indigenous sandwich "Vada Pav". I was told many "Vada Pav" sellers are stinkingly rich!!! It comes with a decent price tag of Rs.3 each[unless it has increased] to Rs. 10 for two pieces. It is a pretty simple stuff--the "Pav" is the bread, a small bun, smaller than the burger buns, cut into two, horizontally, & then an optional spread of a spicy mint chutney & date chutney & the "Vada"--a deep fried potato dumpling.
Then "Samosa Pav"--nothing but stuffed with Samosa & a whole lot of variations!!

Moving on to Chennai, I never had any of the streetfood, except a lot of Dosa in the hotel.

Now I am in Dubai. My most sought after streetfood is "Chicken Shawarma". It is a pretty simple stuff again---a pita bread is heated in embers [not coal ones, but it runs in electric!!], while the chicken pieces [assorted mixtures of legs & breasts] are continuously roasted around the embers. The seller treams off the chicken, makes a little salad with some greens & tomato, & mixes with the chicken. He puts this stuffing in the pita bread, drizzles some tahina dressing on top, wraps & hand it over to you...Voila!! It's so delicious!! I love it too....sometimes, when I am hungry, I go down & eat a couple of these [Sometimes, I am too lazy to cook], & sometimes for dinner tooo...

Despite being a little *fussy* about my food, I love streetfoods--but I must like them too... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment