Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rethinking Breakfast....

Since I have joined the hotel industry, I have been focussing only in breakfast--Indian, Oriental & in Dubai, Cold breakfast. However, prior to this, I have never been serious about my own breakfast. Usually, my own breakfast since childhood, used to be a glass of milk, two slices of milk bread with a spread of butter/mixed fruit jam & sometimes an egg fried [Bengalis incorrectly call fried eggs as poached eggs!!], may be a banana[though I never used to like fruits..except grapes, orange in winter, that too peeled n segmented]..sometimes I used to keep it short..especially if I used to get up late.
When I started growing up, I got addicted to tea, specially black tea, with milk & a couple of biscuits & then follows corn flakes, or oats porridge, or may be on Sundays, chicken sausage, fried eggs, corn flakes & then carrying on & on...till I used to get tired. Sometimes, I used to prefer a pure bengali's breakfast --Kachauri, Daal n many stuff..

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day--it fuels our brain for the overnight fast. The brain needs some energy to get started for the day. However, breakfast need not be too oily, very sweet, too salty or too much of calories, but it must be healthy. Some of my favorites, that may be yours too...

O.J.--Dont think it is some kind of jockey or anything, but I am talking about fresh orange juice. It is a really healthy drink in the morning, especially loaded with Vitamin C. I would prefer freshly squeezed orange juice than the canned one, since the fresh one has more fiber than the fortified ones.

Eggs-- Its a whole food & provides all that you need for your energy. Eggs are versatile too, boiled eggs, omelettes, scrambled, poached eggs, fried eggs & numerous preparations too, for example Eggs Benedict, Huevos Rancheros etc. Even eggs for your waffles [ I love waffles!!], & French Toast--Kids love it too!!American Heart Association recommends at least 4 eggs a week. In India, a nutrition firm suggests "Sunday ho yaa Monday, roz khaao Aandey"[Be it Sunday or Monday, an egg every day].

Good Old Oatmeal-- My alltime favorite Oatmeal is loaded with Vitamin B & densed with nutrition.Be it the quickcooking rolled ones or the old fashioned ones...Advantage of the rolled ones is that it cooks fast. However, in nutritionwise, the old fashioned ones are better. Sweeten it up with honey, sugar, & load it with fresh fruits, dry fruits, yoghurt, applesauce, nuts etc. Also it has a lot of fibre, which helps to keep a clear stomach.

Muesli-- It is another of my alltime favorite, since I was initiated in the hospitality. Since, then morning breakfast must have some muesli in my plate [though I often avoid nowadays...].
Dr. Bircher Benner wanted to give something healthy to his patients, so he created the most-famed bircher muesli. It has rolled oats, milk, yoghurt, walnuts, raisins, grated apples & to sweeten up--honey!! It is so delicious if you pop in some berries to it....

Chhola Bhature--Its an Indian breakfast food[sometimes all day dining too..], to be precise it comes from Punjab. Fermented doughs are rolled out & deep fried in hot oil, so that it puffs up. Served with a stew of chickpeas. And the taste??? Well, to me its heavenly...only one can tell who has tasted it.... :)

Croissants-- I have been addicted to croissants since I was introduced to it.  A warm croissant with a cup of tea or coffee...a perfect combination for a long chat in a cafe...[now I am restricted diet though..]

Muffins--I remember I used to make it often at home. Then stopped, started buying it from outside & eating it from outside. Specially, chocolate muffin & after coming to Dubai, at least one blueberry muffin a day!!! Voila... :D


I think its enough for the day, unless its all-day dining!!
Bon Appetit.....

No comments:

Post a Comment