Monday, March 8, 2010

Off Day cooking--Rice!!!

Yes..it is our & my staple food. India is a land of paradise, wait a sec, it is a land of paradise for rice growers. For anything else, I will tell you offline....
Basmati & lots of rice...be it Bengal's gobindobhog rice,quite akin to Khao Neow, but with the flavour of pandanus leaves, or the rice, grown in Italy...arborio...
Almost all know...that rice is a good source of carbohydrate-the water that you strain away after boiling your rice is also very nutritious. Perhaps thats why, you never strain your risotto or paella.
I dont like rice much--if there is paratha, roti, I would rather go for that, but rice, is a compulsion!!! It adds on weight, as a matter of fact, & helps my protruding tummy to go further n further....however, there are exceptions though, when I would love to have rice. If it is our very own Rice Kheer/Payasam-quite akin to the western rice pudding, but without eggs. As I learnt from my mother, she boils 1.5 liter of milk & reduce it to one liter. Then she washes the Gobindobhog Rice, as I described before & she uses only half of one handful of that & allows this to boil in the milk. Forgot to mention, she puts in a couple of bay leaves also.
After prolonged simmering, she adds in some green cardamom for flavouring, & some sugar candy[mishri] and the result..is really delicious[not for those people who like/prefers less sweet!!!]I will come up a recipe in few days..whenever, I go to Kolkata, its a must have for me. Hindus offer this sweet preparation for Gods too & any birthday celebration for bengalis, is incomplete without this!!!

Another of the rice speciality, amongst Indian cuisine is Biryani & Phirni. I love Biryani, if you need a recipe of Biryani, go through my previous posts, the title is "The Saga of Biryani". Be it mutton, chicken, seafood biryani--I love it. I would prefer the Dum pukht style biryani, but not Hyderabadi!!

Moving out of India, I will always think of Italian cuisine, than any other ones. Not even French or Chinese or Thai ...I dont know why I have love for Italian cuisine....amongst Italian cuisine, I love to have risotto. They serve it as a first course[primo piatto] & options...are unlimited--you choose it!!! My favorite is seafood risotto, which I cooked today, on my day off. I have been craving for this risotto for months now. In between doctor advised me not to have seafood for obvious reasons, however, now he has allowed for a couple of times in a month, why not use the opportunity??
I had almost all ingredients required for making this food..Lobster Bisque, Sundried tomato, Xtravirgin Olive Oil...however, I didn't have basil!! :( [I dont trust dried basil!!!], however, I didn't use all seafood, but used only Squid. Reasons, it is versatile & cooks easily. It is a little chewy, I can use the ink also for cooking or for making pasta & cutting/processing by own hand adds a little fun, than buying the cleaned, cut squid. For me, I would rather clean, cut fish, than buying the precut from the butcher.
Without beating around the bush....here is the recipe!!!

Squid Risotto with its own ink
Ingredients:
Squid- 3 whole
Arborio Rice- 100 gm
Lobster Stock, strong- 400 ml
Onion, chopped -10 gm
Garlic, chopped- 1 clove
Extravirgin Olive Oil- 25 ml+15 ml for finishing
Sundried tomato-2 pcs, chopped
Oil from Sundried tomato-2 tsp
White Wine, Dry- 30 ml[optional]
Seasoning- as required
Chopped Basil, Parsley- 1 tsp

Method:
1)Clean the squid & cut the squid into big rings. Reserve the ink.
2)In a saucepan, heat olive oil & add the onions & garlic and saute till translucent. Add in the rice till it starts to crackle & add in the dry white wine, till it reduces, or almost dries up.
3)Add in the stock in batches & allow the rice to cook, al dente. Add in the sundried tomatoes.
4)Adjust seasoning & while about to finish, add in the squid & its ink.
5)Once done, finish off with the Olive Oil & oil from sundried tomatoes, check if seasoning is necessary & add in the finely chopped basil & parsely.
Serve immediately!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment