Sunday, March 7, 2010

Food that Chefs eat....

Location: Behind a popular restaurant in Mumbai. Name of the restaurant/hotel is undisclosed for obvious reasons.
Date: Unrecorded. Somewhere in the month of July-August, 2008.
Time: 10:45 am

I was having my breakfast. Let me tell you what I was having--two chicken sausages, one ham & cheese omelette [my fav!!!], two bhatura[indian fried bread] with chholey[cooked chickpeas], one mango yoghurt, one glass of Watermelon juice, two slices of banana bread. You might frown upon my plate, since my plate could accommodate so many foods. Remember, I was doing night shift then--so I eat only once in a day. Manoj was also having his breakfast, however, he was afraid of his C.D.C of the Italian Kitchen, as sometimes he peeps in to see whether anyone is having food or not.
Trust me, we make the foods, but sometimes we run short of food. For example, I miss my breakfast often--I rely upon two glasses of orange juice & when the breakfast is over, I request a couple of Blueberry Muffins[I like it & its the only quickbread I can eat!!!] from the pastry. Adding on carbohydrates is certainly unhealthy....but beggars cant be choosers...can they??
I asked Manoj,"Where do these stairs lead to??". He said,"This is the fire exit...& it comes from GM's room". I didn't know this. Well, I assumed the GM will never to come that place,where we were eating. Then I asked him, "Well...if our Exe. Sous Chef sees us eating, what happens then??". Manoj replied smartly "Well, he will appreciate. He says if the kitchen guys dont eat, who will eat?[Kitchenwala nahi khaayega toh kaun khaayega???]
I laughed it away, as it is true...but when we are really hungry???Sometimes, it happens to me, that I am hungry....but I have 1000s of work. Even a minute is valuable...cant spare it at the cost of running short of time. For example, I was f***ing busy, none to help, so I shortened my lunch in 10 minutes--I rather swallowed my food than eating them generously. Else, when I cut fruits, continuously one or two piece are always going inside--but no benefit!!

We eat the fresh food---there is no doubt in it. However, guests also do, however, we keep it in special conditions that they never spoil, bacterial growth is almost zero, so the food retains its freshness. However, as one of my colleague used to say, "Food tastes better the following day of its cooking", but I cannot vouch for this since, I believe in freshly cooked food!!!

Apart from missing breakfast, another is missing lunch/dinner. I do often sometimes voluntarily--to reduce weight. But sometimes, when I have to catch the shuttle for getting back home or dont have time. I remember when I was in Chennai, I used to miss my lunch for a lot of times, as when I used to enter kitchen, loads of work. Best...finish off your work & then plenty of time to eat. But my food during then would be only sweets, sweets & sweets again....

"Sometimes, I forget to have my lunch", a colleague was telling me a couple of days before,"when I am too busy". Well, what is the solution to it??Unless, people want me to give them a reminder when its lunch time....do you have a solution???

No comments:

Post a Comment