Thursday, March 11, 2010

When cooking for self is boring.....

I remember, when I was in Kolkata, I had never had tension to cook for myself--Mom is there to take care. When I moved to Mumbai, I used to do such an extended shift, that most of the times, I had my lunch & dinner in hotel only, except on off-days when I used to have my meals outside.
In Chennai, we had special provisions that we can have meals in any time of the day--no matter we are working or off-duty!!
But coming to Dubai, things have changed. Here, I am supposed to have on-duty meal, but not off-duty[as in most of the hotels!!!], but eating off-duty means either you eat outside in restaurant[sub-standard or the plush ones] or cook for yourself [Thankfully, in our staff accommodation, we have company provided kitchen!!!].
When I came here, I had full enthusiasm for cooking myself & often cooking for both my partner & me. Like cooking pasta, australian lamb, pork, & sometimes a three course or 2 course menu.
The day offs were mostly featured by cooking---special ingredients from outside, or cooking something that I crave for--specially Mutton Biryani, Bengali style fish curry & etc....but on daily basis, it is rigorous & boring sometimes..again cooking tonight??But I cant starve while sleeping & eat whatever I get the following morning...
But I have to troubleshoot....now what I do is make "Khichri" for myself. Simply put its a onemeal food--Rice & mungdal is boiled together & then tempered with Cumin whole, Red Chilli whole & Bay leaves. Additional masalas are red chilli powder, cumin powder & turmeric powder & loads of gheeee...I also put some chicken sausages in it, some diced vegetables, sometimes if I have any leftover chicken curry or pork curry....to make it wholesome...
I cook the dal & rice together & keep in the refrigerator & when required for my dinner, I scoop out the required portion & keep the rest for the following days..
It must be sounding boring, but what else I can do???Cant cook luxury meal for me everyday--for 1 person...I wish mom was here to cook for me...or if *someone* could cook for me...
Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment