Saturday, March 6, 2010

Kitchen Conversations...

"Zig...Zig"..Chef PN was tipping the bell from his office.
 I was working in the Western Kitchen. I entered the kitchen around 2:30 pm, though my shift is from 3 pm. The time I entered the kitchen, I saw some food is lying in the counter also known as "pass". I dont know, who made it--someone told me a boy has come for food trial & prepared those foods. I saw--horribly put. I started doing my work.
I went close to Chef's office, when Chef PN was tapping the bell. He is calling me. I knocked the door, asked for his permission & went inside. My other colleagues didn't even bother to knock. For them, the door is always opened!!
"Gaurav, what do you think of this guy?" Chef PN asked me. I said, "Yes, he is good".
Chef PN got pissed off--I could make it out from his face. He asked me again, "What do you think of his trial, how was his food?". Again, as usual with a smile I replied, "Yes, his food was good, his presentation was not good though, but I tasted his food--its good."

Chef PN started,"Gaurav, you tell good about people, cause you are good [I doubt :P ]. You cant be good to people always--sometimes you need to be hard, stern to them. Else, people will take you for granted. Secondly, never be desperate. Let things mature, let things ripen. Never show desperation in anything."
I had no other option, except saying ," You are right chef...."
Chef PN continues, while having an eye on his Lotus Notes ,"And...whats happening??".
I am in a mood to leave the kitchen,"Nothing much chef...Thank you chef" & I left the kitchen.

Well, I learnt two most important lessons that day. No. 1---Dont be good to all. Its partially true, that if you are too good to all, it will be a problem for you--they will take you for granted.
Secondly--dont be desperate. Yes...sometimes I have been too desperate for anything..or for something. Take this example..being out of country. I was craving to leave India & work abroad for long--since my college days. Even in 2008..I left my employment in Grand Hyatt for coming to Dubai & join magnanimous Atlantis, but Divine thought something else. However, in 2009, I was sure, time was ripe enough to leave the country. I remember, when I gave my first resignation to Chef PN, as I was planning to move to Bahrain, Chef PN rejected right away. But when I gave it to him, whilst coming to Dubai, he said, "Well, I cant stop you. You will have to go..." & accepted my resignation.
Even in personal matters I have been less desperate. As my friend Joydeep says, "Go with the flow"...so do I!!

No comments:

Post a Comment