Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A thoughtful post on being self-reliant!!

"Why did you allow him to go alone?That place is so long from here--if something happened to him?", my aunt was complaining to my mom--reason being my mom allowed me to go to a pilgrim spot, which is around 25 kms away from home in Calcutta.
My mom replied,"Well, if he doesn't go alone, how will he learn to move alone & be self-dependent."
***
I remember, when I was around 9-10 years old, my father was ill. Doctor came home to treat my father & presribed a couple of medicines. My brother was 4 years old & my mother had to take care of my afterborn. Doctor advised my mom to send me to the medicine shop & buy the medicines he prescribed. My mother was a little afraid, whether I could buy it properly or not. Doctor told mom, "I am sure, he will be able to get all, as required," & I did.
Since then I have been able to *perform* my own chores & also works for family, as & when required. Going to grocers, going to shops, doctor when required for self & for any family member & then when time demanded, queueing up for taking admission in high school, for buying books for self & for school, applying for passport & so many. Also travelling alone!! Sometimes travelling alone is the best way to travel, since you dont have to *carry* anyone & will not suffer from carrying that *extra luggage*!!
I learnt how to deal with my problems & solve my problems too--by being self-reliant. When I am away from home, my mom always worries about my health[since childhood, I have suffered a lot, healthwise--fever, eyes, surgeries & so many...]--however, I boost her confidence "I am alright!!!!"
For example, last year--I was in Chennai, & after reaching my "wisdom tooth" started giving me trouble--so that I become *unwise*. I went to the dentist & removed three wisdom in one go!!Mother was worrying too much...that she gets high BP sometimes for me...
What made me write this non-sense post??? Well, yesterday I went to the doctor, for a review regarding my wrist. It had been giving me trouble for the past 2-3 weeks, with tremendous pain & affecting my production. Yesterday I made up my mind to go for an injection on my wrist bone[& finally did so]. Few people would have got afraid & would have asked for assistance of someone to be present over there. But I am strong, self-reliant & I can always help myself... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment