Monday, April 12, 2010

My way of cooking

As I wrote in my previous post, that Culinary happened perchance. But now, it has turned into a passion--I go somewhere, I always crave for food...as I am ever hungry often.. When I land upto a bookstore, I always check the section where they have books on Food & Drinks[I am less into drinks, more into food]. If I visit a supermarket, I will rush to the section where I can foodstuffs..less into clothings...
There are innumerous culinary professionals in this world...may be all are cooking same stuff..but the end result is obviously different. Take this example, when I was in Mumbai, we had this ala carte menu, "Chicken Tikka Masala". Biju & I both used to make, following the recipe, procedure, but the end result is different obviously, which I often jokingly refer as the "magic of hand". Since, my cooking initiation was in Grand Hyatt, as my first employment, my cooking style is much simple, homestyle & no fuss. I always stress upon using fresh ingredients & almost everything homemade---brown stock/jus, vegetables, breads & so on & so forth...I understand making everything homemade, means additional time, extra mise-en place & capable staff too!!
Even when I cook for myself, my food is simple..not spicy, since I cannot eat spicy, despite being an Indian by popular belief. I also dont prefer adding a lot of masalas or herbs, which will mask the original flavour of the main ingredient(s)--let the natural flavour prevail with a sutble hint of the flavourings/aromatics. When it comes to presentation, my presentation style is old-fashioned. Yes, many people commented that my plating, presentation is old-fashioned. I take that as a compliment!!Old fashioned is always classy..not trendy & it has carved out a unique niche for itself in Gastronomy.
Regarding classical french cuisine---its really old now. Or, if we can retain the same name, the same ingredients, but put it in a different way. For example, Poulet Saute Chasseur[Chicken in the hunter's style], where the sauce is made of demi-glaze, shallots, wine, tomato, mushrooms. Instead of regular tomatoes,how about introducing semi-dried or sundried tomatoes?Button mushrooms can be substituted with wild mushrooms...the options are endless. Then comes a all new approach!!
"Think out of the box"...well, I always try to think...& I had been trying.My basic european cooking has been heavily influenced by that of Italian & French[even my own eating often...perhaps I was born in Europe in my previous birth!!]
In desserts also, I cook simple stuff--panna cotta, yoghurt mousse, chocolate souffle, pot de creme, creme brulee, creme caramel & like. I dont go to complex stuff!!
End results???All I can promise..it will definitely be unique experience, if you try my cooking. C'est formidable!!!! :)

A simple recipe....
Grilled Chicken with garlic mashed potato, grilled zucchini, buttered peas & peppercorn sauce
Ingredients:
For the Grilled Chicken
Chicken breast-1 no[ 200gm to 250 gm]
Seasoning-as required
Oil- 20 ml
Dried Thyme- 1 pinch
For the mashed potato
Boiled potato- 1 no.
Butter- 20 gm
Milk-20 ml
Cream-20 ml
Roasted Garlic paste- 20 gm
Seasoning- As required
For the vegetables
Zucchini-50 gm
Green peas- 50 gm[shelled]
Butter- 20 gm
Seasoning- As required
For the pepper sauce
Demi-glaze- 100 ml
Crushed black pepper- 5 gm
Tomato Ketchup- 15 ml
Seasoning- As required

Method:
For the grilled chicken
1.Marinate the chicken with the required ingredients for about 15 minutes.
2.When ready to cook, grill them in a hot grill & finish off in oven. Keep hot.
For the mashed potato
1.Grate the boiled potato. Heat butter in a pan, add in the grated potato, & cook till heated through. Add in the roasted garlic paste, cream & milk, if using. Season well & keep hot.
For the Vegetables
1. Thinly slice the zucchini & season well & drizzle oil. Keep aside, until ready to grill. When ready, grill it in a very hot grill & turning them & till cooked through. Keep hot.
2. Blanch the shelled green peas. Heat butter in a pan till almost brown. Pop in the blanched peas & keep on tossing until well coated with the butter. Season & keep reserved.
For the sauce
Heat the demi-glaze till almost half. Add in the tomato ketchup, & crushed black pepper. Adjust seasoning & keep reserved.

Assembling:
Put the mashed potato on the base of the plate & put the chicken breast on top, skin side up. Put the peas & zucchini around & drizzle the sauce around.

Bon Apetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment