Monday, April 5, 2010

Life in Dubai...

"Boss...you are enjoying an excellent life man...find a job for me in front office...I would love to join you,"Rishav was telling me last week. Is life really excellent in Dubai???
"So, its been how many months you are here now?" Bernice asked me last month. I replied, "Its 4 months here now", she said, "Four months nothing....".
***
True, four months are nothing, compared to people staying here for more than 10 years or say people living here since 80s. I remember that very evening, when I landed here in Dubai International Airport, Terminal 1[which caters to all international carriers except Emirates]. After a number of *security checks*, they put the entry stamp on my passport & I was waiting for some chef to pick me up from the airport. Though I was waiting for about an hour[since, no one had information about my time of arrival], I was enjoying my waiting time. I could see many emiratis, dressed in traditional khanduras & abayas, & also many europeans, asians, africans & citizens of around the world. Dubai is truly a multinational city....
On the way to my new address here in Dubai, I was shown the tallest man-made building in Dubai, which opened later on Jan. 4th, 2010, "Burj Khalifa", formerly known as "Burj Dubai". Roads..well, much & much clean as in India. Thank god, here people dont piss in the corner of the road [No offence fellow Indians--its a fact!!]. Flyovers--well a lot. Actually yes it helps a lot, specially when there is a lot of traffic congestion, else, Dubai is quite peaceful, fast & as many claims one of the safest places in the world.
Few things, which I could never get in India, I got them in Dubai. First thing, which I had been longing was a pasta machine. I could never get in India--I always wanted to buy, so that I can make my own pasta[sometimes making pasta is fun..] & also it can be a good longtime investment[My longterm plans...]. I bought myself the pasta machine for AED 155.00[eq. to around US$40], once I got my first salary here. Another of my favorite, which is hard to get in India, specially Calcutta, is Australian Lamb. I love this meat, since it cooks pretty fast. Tastewise, nowhere closer to mutton, but I love lamb. Now I can buy it, whenever I want..& cook the way I want [Ohh..I know how to cook :P] So many supermarkets...
On most of my off-days[weekly once, I am entitled to get an off!!], I spend my time in Dubai Mall. Reason?It is a good timepass--since there are so many shops to explore & still I am not done yet in finding out all the stores. However, I will always drop in Waitrose to see, whether anything special I can buy--if nothing special, may be I will buy a couple of eggs or may be milk. Also another place that beckons me is "Book World" by Kinokuniya. There are so many books...but I am very boring sometimes. I always lookout books of my interest..other books??They are meant for other people!!I will always find out any impressive book on Food & Beverage or sometimes, astrology. I am not at all shopaholic--neither I have a love-hate relationship with shopping. I just shop when I want to, of course within my limits. Sometimes, I cannot resist myself, but so many clothes are still lying in India--which I could not carry with me this time.
I remember once I was telling my mother after coming here "Maa, I saw one blazer, by Dolce & Gabbana..costs around AED 7000"..she started telling, "Dont waste your money by spending on these stuff..", I immediately changed our topic.

Another thing...the beach. It is so close to my place & my hotel...is on the beach itself!! As of now, wherever I have worked, its near the se--be it Mumbai, be it Chennai..even I was born close to a river, which flows along the City of Joy--Calcutta!! Now in Dubai....is it a co-incidence??

"So, how is life in Dubai?", a guest asked me few days before. I replied,"Yes..its easy, easier than India". Still, so many things are unexplored here..I wish to explore all...specially Dessert Safari or Dhow Cruise & once I explore, will share the experience with you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment