Friday, April 2, 2010

Career as a Culinary Professional!!!

[Reader(s), please make a note that I am not experienced enough to comment how life is as a culinary professional, however, if any change, will be updated in the forthcoming times. Thank you!!!]

Before I joined the hospitality industry, my father told me,"So I will have to my colleagues & friends that my son is a cook!! Cooks die like a sandwich!!"
A few days before, a colleague told me, "You shouldn't have joined Kitchen--you should have joined Sales & Marketing. You joined Kitchen only to eat."
***
I have been interested in cooking since I was in middle school. Following recipes in recipe book, making burgers at home, with a pathetic cole slaw & *failed* mayonnaise. I remember Discovery channel[there was no Discovery Travel & living then..] used to air a daily program on hotels & restaurants, across the world, mostly in Europe, known as "Inntimate Escapes". Most of the kitchen techniques, when they used to display, I remember, I used to make a note of that & copy them back in my kitchen. Problem was that I couldn't do them in my mother's presence [I have been a kitchen nuisance at home--as per my mother]. I remember making pasta at home--right from the scratch with eggs & flour. It was good though..
Looking at my cooking achievements or disasters sometimes, many people suggested me, "Why dont you join hotel management??", I used to think on that advice & later, "Ok...let me see". I had an ambition to be a chemist & later it changed to "I will be either a Chartered Accountant or I will do MBA". Joining hotel industry I think just happened perchance.
I remember, in the end of high school, a classmate asked me, "Gaurav, what are you planning to do next?", I replied, "May be B.Com & then C.A. or MBA..". He told me, "Why dont you do hotel management?On this date there is a national examination for Hotel Management College....& ....". I said, "Ok fine...but what kind of questions do they ask?". He suggested me a book...I bought that one, though he used to take a private tuition for the national examination. We both appeared for the examination & finally when the results were out..I secured rank 393 in all-India basis & he got some 5000+ rank!!!It was incredible for him..but a fact....

During my training period, specially in Kitchen I was about to experience how life in kitchen is. I remember, I joined the Halwai section of a five star deluxe property in Calcutta. I worked there for a couple of days-came to experience & experiment with different types of people, with different attitudes though--changing in a couple of minutes. In a few days time, I was put into butchery. I had special interest as because, I wanted to learn, at least the basics of it, so that at any corner of the world, I can cut meat or fish...
It was full fun in Butchery, the Butchery Chef didn't make any level difference between he & I--more than work, we used to crack those *nasty* & *dirty* jokes throughout the day..and as usual, I used to burst out with laughter.Sometimes, he would leave the butchery in my hand & leave for the day & at the end of the afternoon shift [which used to end at 23:45 hours], I used to pick up my gala dinner from main kitchen. Mostly, it was mutton biryani, some curry, one indian sweet, specially hot rasgulla/gulabjamun, & a glass of pepsi/coca cola. This was my daily dinner!!!! Since the butchery was located in front of the bakery & pastry, whenever I used to feel hungry, I used to plunder the bakery & eat...& the people in pastry were generous enough sometimes to come to butchery & share whatever fresh they used to make..[I always share a good relation with pastry--one of the reasons being continuous supplies of carbohydrates!!!]
When I joined the industry as an employee, it was a bit different. You are more responsible & will be questioned for your actions. Any complaints ...people are ready to stab or ready with sharpened knife!!!
"I never had complaints"--I would lie if I say this. Yes, I had a number of complaints. I always take complaints in a positive way, never negatively. The complaints you get are actual your areas of developments!! Sometimes, guests complaint for getting something complimentary--its a fact!! But complaints are also for valid reasons."Roast chicken is cold inside" or "The grilled sandwich is served cold"--these are the few most repeated complaints, however valid. It may so happen the chef didn't heat the roast chicken through or the sandwich was lying outside for a longer time, which made it cold from hot. Remember, most of the guests never complain, assuming that we will turn a deaf ear to them or shrug our shoulders off...guests who are really concerned complain!!
I remember, during my employment in Mumbai, once I was doing night shift. There was an order of Caesar Salad with grilled chicken. The order was served. After sometime, a waiter came with the plate & told me "Chef Gaurav, guest is telling too less dressing & the chicken is under-cooked". I said, "Ok fine.. I will make a new one..". I re-prepared the salad. Again..complaint...same!!Now I went to speak to the guest & asked about the issue. The guest told me...too less dressing & chicken is undercooked. Here, I must tell you that chicken is such a meat, which cooks so fast, that there is always a possibility of having it overcooked!! Also, you can make out visually whether chicken is undercooked or not..
I didn't argue with the guest, I made it again...& again the same complaint!!I asked again, but guest said..No more.its ok. Later I came to know that they complained to the reception & wanted it complimentary...certainly, I couldn't do anything more than what I did...

Kitchen as a career, has growth--it will be a false statement to say that it doesn't have growth, but it has, which is slow. Due to complexities of hierarchy, too many people, tough competition, experience factor & many matters makes the career growth pretty slow. However, once one starts moving up in the ladder, there is no falling down. But a healthy attitude & keeping oneself cool in worst conditions must be there in a budding professional. False ego, swearing & abusing are certainly unprofessional approach in front of the heat. There are so many things to learn, one who claims that he has learnt all, must need to visit a doctor or should open his own establishment..

As far shift times are concerned, it keeps on changing. I remember doing few crazy shifts till now..for example, doing a shift from 7 pm till 9 am following morning & then coming to shift by 2 pm!! Sometimes, from 12 am midnight till 3 pm afternoon & then coming again at 12 midnight. Sometimes from 6 am in the morning till midnight & then following day at 6 am!! "When does my shift end??"--perhaps this question has no answer.

Finally..its on eating. Yes, we eat a lot in kitchen, jokingly I put it as "Tasting", "Nourishing myself" or "Quality Check!!". We eat the freshest of the stuff, we eat the best stuff & sometimes, we cook for ourselves. Sometimes, when I am hungry, I pick up something from the pastry or may be some bacon. Sometimes a small sandwich for myself..with whatever I can get..
As a matter of fact...the more I talk, I become more hungry & often tell people "I am hungry" & they bounce back "You are hungry everytime..."
A colleague was telling me last sunday,"I see you making omelette & eating it. Then you go to the cafetaria & you have your tea. Then at 12 noon you have something from cafetaria, & then in the afternoon lunch. So many times you have food...I am sure you have joined this industry for eating". I started laughing, well..I do this even when I am at home...
But these days..I am eating so much..n specially sweets--I am afraid, someday I will die of overeating.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment