Monday, July 5, 2010

Sunday offs ...& cooking at friend's place..

"Gaurav, can you please come over to our place, with the software,", Mrs. Sahai was asking me.
It was June 27th, early morning. Father's Day, if I can recollect correctly.Mrs. Sahai was requesting for the astro software for long, last time, I went to her place but without the software, despite her endless requests.
"Okk..I am not doing anything today, I can go to your place", I replied.
"One more favour Gaurav, if you can cook something here. Paavani [her daughter] wants to make something special for her father, since its Father's Day--I was thinking Lemon Souffle...", Mrs. Sahai added.
Now its my turn to ask, "Hot Souffle or cold souffle?". She answered,"Make the cold version---our oven is not working."
"Ok...fine,so will you pick me up from Mall of Emirates, "I asked.
She said, "Yes...around 4 pm, will buy our grocery from there n dont forget the software."

***
Cooking with friends have always been fun. I remember cooking at friend's place when I was in Kolkata. All my middle school batchmates,who were with me in my elementary grades also, asked me, "Gaurav...lets cook someday--we'll help with the preparation & you do the cooking, ". Since they were ready to do the mise-en, why should I worry??Only I need to cook...
I think there I cooked, Pork Stew, Herb Rice & dessert was the Classic Creme Caramel.
In another case I cooked a special Chicken Curry[obviously my innovation] & followed by Phirni[a rice pudding, made with rice-flour & milk]. Though fun, cooking with them is tricky--if the end result is not good???
***
After reaching MoE, I caught up with Mrs. Sahai & then we went to Lulu's Hypermarket, to do the buy the ingredients for making our Classic Lemon Souffle...also she had to buy her daily needs...& fortunately, I didn't forget about the software she was looking for.
Once I reached home, I had a cup of tea, followed by astro-chat & predictions n bla bla...n then we proceeded to the kitchen for making something special for Paavani's dad. Mr. Sahai was not home by then..
I started with making the lemon custard, [got some help from them...]with eggs obviously, & then mixing in gelatin, folding in beaten egg whites & whipped cream & set....for 2 hrs...n then "Classic Lemon souffle...Done!!!"[Can you hear Gordon Ramsay???? :P]
Once I put it in the freezer to set, Mr. Sahai was at home & then started a chat with him--food, India & Kolkata, since he spent most of his boyhood in Kolkata[the then Calcutta].
After a long chat, dinner was served. I was a little worried about the souffle...went to see whether its done or not....Oh yes....its done!!
At the end of dinner, it is the dessert course....Good or bad????
Everyone had their portion...I didn't take it first...Many thing lies here, specially when Mrs. Sahai told her daughter, "I will get you the best chef in town for making the lemon souffle, " & I made it last in college--in 2004.
"Wonderful...excellent", Mr. Sahai exclaimed...Thank God, my cooking was a success. Kids also liked it. Intentionally, I made less sweet, as Mrs. Sahai is diabetic so that she can also enjoy. She also relished it..till the last tits-bits on her plate...

I am going home soon...perhaps some more cooking over there also.... :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Sunday offs ...& cooking at friend's place..". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- chocolate course in dubai | chocolate courses dubai

    ReplyDelete