Thursday, July 29, 2010

Indian cuisine with a western touch...

Jipsa was craving for my cooking ...for long...n finally, she got to taste food from my hand. I was planning a special menu for her,something unique that she has had, but she will have it differently. But when I am cooking for her, my aunt will also be able to taste the *experience* & so my family members...


It was a very simple fare...very light ...& yet ...it was elegant. Who didn't have Lentil Soup???Well..this time, this is with an Indian touch, but prepared as you do in a western kitchen[Remember, when I put ginger in mushroom soup, chef George asked me, "So is this with an Indian touch???"...I just smiled].

Well..this lentil soup, rather cream of mung beans, was definitely cooked for the indian palate--it had carrot, leek, celery, mascarpone in it...and same time, it had onion, cumin, garlic...n a dash of olive oil. Yes..the soup was delicious[Unfortunately..I didn't taste it..I relied on their feedback].
Moving on to the next one...well..you know it..Chicken Tikka. You must have eaten this ...or its siblings..Kababs...what I tried this time, is a little innovative. Grilled Chicken Tikka...I didn't use any tandoor for cooking it,but it retained all the textures of what a Kabab looks like. What I did, I used a Chicken breast & applied the marinade as you do for Tikka & grilled them in a hot plate & finish off in the oven..n for the smokey flavour??Well...burn some woodchips beneath, while it is being cooked in the oven--the smoke will impart some smokey aroma in the chicken. Sauce???How about the famous makhni gravy[Yes, the same gravy used for numerous dishes...Murg Makhni, Murg Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken etc] being put in its refined form...Makhni sauce.
This time a different mashed potato...hint of cumin ...quite akin to our own kitchen's Aloo-Jeera & some shahi subzi..but alas...with Mushroom, Zucchini & Carrots!!!I hope it was decent...

Well..now time for desserts. Few of my friends claim that when it comes to desserts...I am the best...perhaps, its because of my long term relationship with sugar, pastry & my sweet-tooth. I thought of doing a rasgulla cheesecake or gulabjamun terrine...but changed my mind...Rice-pudding Mousse???Yes..I told my mom to make some rice-pudding..as we make at home...& call it as "Payesh"...n then I converted it into a vegan version of Mousse..of course..with some decent addition of Mascarpone & a little hint of cinnamon. Jipsa couldn't recognise it to be "Payesh"...n it was served with some forest fruit coulis....[All this took place yesterday]...

And today...I cooked Mutton Biryani again..this is my favorite out of North Indian cuisine & perhaps it is next to my love for Bengali foods...& one & only...Italian.As usual it was good...[thank god..no one praised me to skies...thus pampering my ego..over n over again...:) ]& finished with Phirni..a rice pudding with rice-flour, milk & again..a generous addition of Mascarpone.

Since, Sunday...I have been doing a lot of cooking..apart from cooking my own breakfast..but I am now in a departure mood...I will have to leave this Saturday..."Maa..break my chains & let me free..."!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment