Sunday, June 27, 2010

Call Center...or 14 months of nightmare???

"Thank you for calling HSBC Mortgage Services, this is Gaurav, may I have your loan#?"
"My loan# is ********"
"Thank you ..May I have your name & the last four digits of your Social?"
"My name is **** & the last four of my social is ****"
"Thank you Mr/Mrs/Ms. *** for verifying your account. How may I help you today??"
"My account is ......"

Yes, this was pretty cliched for around 11 months, when we hit the floor after our process training. I lost a year in college, but cannot sit idle at home[though parents had no problem in feeding their elder son], but I would feel sick. I took this noble thought of working in a callcentre & then carry on with my course. Additionally, call centre gives easy money.
Professionally, it was my first job & with all humility, I was a top performer [I am sure,my the then colleagues & trainer, Smita Shee & Lori J. Lype] will vouch this fact...ever since the day of training. I loved their training or the process training, since I was in a mortgage related process of North America. It was so interactive  & also helped me to develop my communication skills. I made a couple of friends there..weekly chilling out..or chatting for hours, weekly outing, dinner, lunch n what not???Also...number of crushes, since there were many sexy girls, working in the same BPO, but diff. process.
However, what used to suck bigtime, was the night shift...initially in winter, it was fine..as I used to sleep almost throughout the day, but during summer..my god..no sleep!!!It was so horrible.

In 2007, went for a vacation for 14 days...[It was so wonderful...], went to Delhi n then Varanasi[my first trip there] n then back to work???Ohh....no..
After I rejoined after vacation, I put my resignation. The deptt. manager was stunned & started firing me with questions..why r u leaving n dozens of reasons why I shouldn't leave. I was stern in my decision..."No...I want to join my college[re-admission in 3rd year]".He had to accept.
Unfortunately, he stopped talking to me, he started avoiding me. Well, even I don't care, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand.He took my name from Process Improvement Team & many teams....NO ISSUES!!!
Oneday, he was around my desk...suddenly I said, "These days, some people have stopped talking to me", & he replied, "Well, I may say the same thing" & we started laughing..
A couple of days he came to me & started asking me, "Gaurav, are you reconsidering your decision??". I replied point-blank, "NO" & back to calls..
Notice period for 3 months..that was too long!!! In the end, I gave him an option, "Part-time job", else no point in continuing & putting my studies at stake. Yes, I needed money as I was self-dependent & wanted to carry on self-styled life[Come on, who doesn't like that???].
He agreed n I carried on...College+work. Initially, it was agreeable, I had to miss a couple of classes ...but thats okay!!
However, an offer came from the company, a visit to Manila, Philippines & train them the process HSBC Mortgage Services, since the process was being remigrated to Manila. I was one of the contenders, I was excited too..Passport was ready long back... I had to miss 15 weeks of college[a crucial miss though...]I told my mom about this possibility, but she was reluctant as I would be missing college for sometime..
Umm..okay..I wont go!!!!
From september, College+work became hectic. My schedule was like getting up at 6:30 am, reaching college by 8:30 am, n then back home by 5:30 pm, going to work by 8 pm, at shift from 8:30 pm to 1 am, returning home by 2 am, n then checking mails, chat n then to bed by 3 am..n getting up at 6:30 am...
Health was being screwed bigtime, so was my schedule...no time for self...except weekends...
Finally...I made a sudden exit...absconding....
It was becoming too much for me....too much loads...studies, work...problems in family, in my life..n so many things..I had to leave...n I left...
Yes, it was a great learning place..I developed my communication & also I was introduced to the corporate world...had some great friends, for hanging out, team outing...boozing, lunch, dinner..potluck..n wut not??
I saw how politics works in macro-level & in micro level in corporate level & got to know that US Economy is going to fall, how does credit rating work etc. I was awarded  "Rising Superstar" award, Quality Awards, Team Top performer, n final it was "Mr.Fitness", for no sick leave!!!
People often tell me,"Gaurav, why don't you rejoin & leave culinary"....I refuse such obnoxious proposal...I left it long back..dont want to leave Culinary ...an industry, in which now I have developed a passion...

No comments:

Post a Comment