Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Shopping in South City Mall

By now, you must be knowing that I am not a shoppaholic[btw..research shows frustrated people=shoppaholics!!!]. I just buy when I want to buy...no compulsion & secondly, when there is heavy discount going on. It is a fact, that heavy discount means clearing off old stocks & replenishing with new ones.But, I am picky when buying clothes for me...if it suits my taste..else...Naah!!!
South City Mall perhaps is the biggest mall in the Eastern part of India & it is so close to home in Calcutta. Not even 10 mins. walking distance, but I like going there catching an auto-rickshaw[remember, those tuk-tuks of Singapore???] when I am in a hurry..else...a good walk..specially for my tummy!!

I show this mall "growing up" in front of me, but my question was, will this mall be able to run the show?Never mind, the developers of this mall, also constructed four residential towers just behind the mall, a school & & some more stuff. Back in 200-, as far as I can remember, it opened & ever since then, it became a great place for me to hangout. Meet someone, date, eating, shopping, window-shopping...it became one of my favorite places nearby!! However, above all these, it was "Spencer's Hypermarket", that actually attracted me a lot--for buying some cooking stuff...n shopping rarely.

Some good brands for the first time in the city, like Guess jeans, Marks & Spencer, n many many ones.Also Pantaloons & Shoppers' Stop started here together[these are business rivals] & the "Fame Cinemas" also, a popular multiplex, but not as popular as Inox is in the city. As you know, I love books, so Starmark also opened a giant store...books, books, n books :)

The ultimate attraction, is the food court & also few standalone restaurants in the top floor. All nice, but in 2008, I found the food court very boring--less covers & also less crowded, except on weekends, specially post-evening.

I haven't been to the city for more than 1 year & last week I went to do some shopping in Pantaloons- a mega store for clothes, with my best friend. Before buying, we met in the food court & never saw such crowd before. The food court was full...I had the Zingerburger from KFC & was chatting with Samrat over there & to our surprise, we saw a group of women, in their 60s, buying food[the fried chicken stuff!!oops..I hate it..i mean the fried chicken] from KFC & having their lunch....incredible!!!

After chatting with him for a couple of hours, I started my shopping from Pantaloons. I am never picky about clothes..what matters is the fabric...Don't wear too thick..else I will start sweating ....thin is ok...but certain fabrics, make feel warmer even before I start wearing it...& colors...my choices are boring.I bought a couple of denims, tee shirts, short shirt....n then pack up!!!
Then we started our window shopping....n finally back home..

Yes, this mall is a nice place to shop [Shop till you drop???Nooooo], almost all popular brands you will get in India, is present here...never mind the mehndiwallas, or the florists....off late, frisking has led it into a long queue...n in weekends...OMG!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment