Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wraps n Rolls!!!

No..its not Rock-N-Roll of Tenessee!! I am very clear about it, it is Wraps n Rolls. I feel & I think, every cuisine have their own "Wraps & Rolls", which delights the hungry stomach & pleases the eye too. Being born in Kolkata, I was always fascinated by what you call "Kathi Rolls". Options were pretty limited initially, for example Egg Rolls, Chicken Rolls, Mutton Rolls & for vegetarians, Veg. Roll. It is nothing but a wrap, made of paratha[an Indian flatbread, shallow fried in a griddle], topped with various stuffs, like fried eggs for Egg roll & the like, and topped with some condiments like sliced onion, cucumber, assorted sauces, a squeeze of lime & a pinch of salt. Rolled, wrapped with a paper & voila...
I have always preferred one with potato stuffing apart from the eggs or egg-chicken.
Also Rumali Wrap, which I learnt in Grand Hyatt. It is almost same, but a Rumali Roti[Handkerchief-->Rumaal] is used instead of oily paratha. It is meant for *fat-conscious*.

Coming out of India, perhaps I can talk about Spring rolls. Its another snack,of which I am fascinated. I love duck spring rolls, chicken spring rolls so much, that I hate vegetable spring rolls. Given the choice of fried version & the fresh version, I will opt for the former[Since it is fried, it gives some taste!!!].
Mexicans got their own wraps too...all going around Tortilla[Not the Spanish omelette with potatoes!!]
Here, in Dubai...well, I can tell you only about Shawarma. I prefer the chicken version--it is a kind of a doner kebab. If you want to know more, the internet media is opened to you....

Happy *Roll*ing :)

Now

No comments:

Post a Comment