Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sonamoni...my grandma

Yesterday, I was going through my calendar, to check whether I missed any birthdays or anniversaries. But I thought that I missed something, it was difficult for me to recollect--so many thoughts in mind. Oh yes, it was 27th May, the day my grandma [my mother's mother]passed away, on this date, 18 years before.
I still have the glimpses of what happened on that day. I remember, on 26th May, my grandma was in serious condition, so we all cousins had to stay in our neighbours, & my mom, maternal uncle & few other relatives including the doctors were taking care of grandma.
On 27th morning, I got up from bed around 6 am. One of the family members of the neighbours told me, "Your grandma has gone to heaven"--I didn't understand what she meant. I had a glass of milk & came to my maternal's house. I saw many people seated in the drawing room. I gradually walked upto the room, where my grandma used to stay. I couldn't believe what I saw. Everyone was crying--my mother, few relatives & many...immediately I left the room & came out of the house.
After a couple of minutes, I went again, saw them & then I started crying, my cousins were also there & they were also crying.It was such a painful--the person who loved me the most passed way on that day. Later many people used to tell me,"You were your grandma's beloved". I was only 7 yrs then.
My grandma was suffering from the deadly malignant breast cancer & before doctors could do anything, it rapidly spread on her body--brain, stomach etc. Still, on her last days, she would talk to me & used to tell me, "I want to see you as a University Blue"...perhaps, it would still remain to be a dream. Whenever, I used to get any hardtime from my mother, I used to complain to her & later I used get some *happiness* when my mother was scolded....
When I was a kid, my *play* used to be worshipping God...n my partner in this play was grandma. Whatever, I wanted for my daily rituals, she used to buy it for me, often carrying me in her arms.Whatever used to happen around me, I used to share with her, with exaggerated expressions. I remember, my mother used to tell me the hindu mythological stories & I used to share those with my grandma, of course with exaggerations.
I used to call my grandma as "Sonamoni", which was actually meant for my cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. My grandma used to call her as "Sonamoni" & I got it wrong...till her last day, I used to call her as "Sonamoni" & to her I was "Jairam".
Summer vacation, winter vacation --any small holidays were opportunities to visit her, as home was quite far than her house. We stay in the southern part of the city, whilst her house was in the far north!!!
What more can I write??Really, I miss her...she couldn't see many of my achievements, merits & many good things, which my mother often laments, "I wish your sonamoni was still alive....".
She is one of those many, who has deeply influenced & inspired me....

No comments:

Post a Comment