Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Offs..n what's cooking???

I think its been almost a year that I got a weekly off on a Sunday. In India, getting off on Sunday is like bliss. I remember, when I was in Chola, I worked with such a scheme, that I get an off on Sunday. Come on, its a holiday...& I want to enjoy the holiday!!
When I was a child, school used to remain closed on Saturday & Sundays. So the activities on those days were homework & in the evening going out with brother & parents to entertainment park[Kolkatans know Nicco Park very well] else, sometimes going out for long drive[the city was really less congested those days & also less pollution]. However, in due course when I started growing up, it was more like going out with friends. Still, compared to many of my friends, I go out very less, unless it is imperative for me to get some fresh air & enjoy life.
Eating out, boozing, movies, shopping or ordering some pizza in the food court of malls & then non-stop chatting with friends [Bengalis call it "Adda"!!]. Since I developed interest in cooking[I remember, I was in high school then]Sundays were meant for cooking. Perhaps my cooking disaster was Murg do-pyaza[It means chicken cooked with onions, added twice]. I substituted n re-substituted many ingredients & the ultimate product was difficult to swallow down!! Ultimately, I had to eat all :((
Ever since then, cooking on Sundays have been special[though my mother swear am a total kitchen nuisance]. If I am not cooking anything for lunch then I must cook something for dinner. Before I joined culinary school, my repertoire was limited to Indian cuisine[I so much hated Chinese cuisine as in India it is so cliched & I loved their Prawns in Hot Garlic Sauce & Mixed Hakka noodles but without soy sauce!!]. After joining hotel management, my Sundays were only devoted on hanging around with friends and cooking was totally devoted to Continental Cuisine.
Umm..today is a Sunday[& its a good day!!!]and I am off. What to cook???This is my question while I was having my *traditional* breakfast. Well, I got some beef yesterday, australian rib-eye. Apart from that, some broccoli, some baby carrots. I also have potato, aluminium foil. Apart from these some pumpkin I have, also risotto rice etc. How about cooking risotto with roasted pumpkin followed by grilled rib-eye[I prefer to eat between medium to well-done] with jacket potato, glazed carrots & steamed broccoli & pepper sauce[I still have some brown sauce, which I made in the beginning of this year] & for dessert???Well, I think I still have some of my gelato, with coconut milk & galangal with a hint of kaffir lime-leaves--homemade. I think I should finish it off first before going on to my next experiment of Chocolate & mint gelato.
Recipes...coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment