Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cheeni Kum:A Review

[Caveat:I am not a movie-critic, nor I have the intention to be a one. I always share my thoughts with you, which has always shakened me or I am just amused by such things. My opinions must not be taken personally. Reading this article is the sole risk of the reader' discretion]

I remember year 2006-2007 was  bad year for me, since I lost a year in college & then I joined HSBC Group Service Center as a Customer Sales Executive. For one year, I lost my interest in Kitchen[Yes, it is a fact] & never used to turn my culinary books & brush my basics. They were almost ready to be for display in the museum. In the beginning of 2007, my company told me,"Gaurav, you will have to go to Manila to give training in HSBC Groups Service Center, Manila, due to a process remigration". I was in Cloud 9...I was delighted to go & give training[I love to travel & give training, deliver lectures..etc!!]. But, in between I saw this movie & regained my lost interest in Kitchen. Further, my mother told me to focus on studies & finally I dropped the plan of visiting Manila.
***

"Cheeni Kum", literally means, "Less Sugar". It is a story of a chef who owns a high end Indian restaurant in the heart of London. His kitchen is ever busy & he is a true master of Kitchen, who believes in professionalism & always rates his restaurant serving "Finest, Authentic Indian food in London". However, he is very rigid in his rules, specially when he advises the junior chef to add lemon juice after 30 seconds, off the heat or the role of adding,asafeotida, followed by Onion etc. However, a problem crops up, when he was flaunting about his restaurant--a food has been returned by a guest "Hyderabadi Zaffrani Pulao"[An Indian rice-meat preparation with mutton & saffron rice, not a Biryani], since it has sugar in it. When he turns upto the guest, who is from India, regarding why the food has been returned, & couldn't get a single word out of her mouth[Yes, a lady guest], he becomes a little egoistic, specially when he says, "We are ready to learn!!". The guest came with her sister, who stays in London & finally tells the chef as "Psycho", whilst the chef mutters, "Bloody Indian tourists!!!" on his way back to Kitchen.
The following day--the waiter who brought the Hyderabadi Zaffrani Pulao as being returned by the guest, brings in another plate of the same pulao inside. He goes ahead & tastes the Pulao & gives the entire procedure of this Pulao & finally says, "There is not a grain of sugar..Our Hyderabadi Zaffrani Pulao is the finest.." when the waiter interrupts, "This has been sent by the guest".He was stunned & walks into the restaurant...while the lady walks away..
The lovestory of the "Too young 64 yr old" Chef starts with "Too old 34 yr old" Woman...& carries on with a lot of drama.Oneday, they decided to go out on a date, whilst the Chef buys a Versace designer glass, on his way to the date to impress her date. The lady catches the reason[all women are so cynical about men's intentions!!!], whilst he kept on lying that he just bought it like that!!
The Chef is a pure vegetarian & when asked since he is vegetarian & had to taste the Pulao[which has meat] she made,his reply, "God forgives a sin in life!!" & many funny stuff.After the first half[You get an interval in the movie theatres of India!!] the movie became boring & lengthy & fortunately, it came to an end.
Few funny moments, like the girl's father is 6 years younger to the groom, however, the groom's would be father-in law thought the Chef is already married & well-setlled in London with children & grandchildren, when the Chef was about to talk to her father regarding their marriage. Interestingly, the girl's father was a follower of Mahatma Gandhi so to impress him, he cooked pure vegetarian food for him[Mahatma Gandhi=Non-violence=Vegetarian food!!!] but he was ashamed when the girl's father said,"If I haven't eaten chicken for dinner, what have I eaten then??"
Finally they tie the nuptial knot in the end, inspite of the father's protests, since his son-in law would be older than him!!
Amitabh Bacchan, performed the role of the "Chef", as Buddhadev  & Tabu has "Neena", the lover of the old man. Amitabh as usual did a great performance, with his intended puns in between & the way he throws them.On the other hand, "Neena", remains subtle throughout the movie..she delivers her dialogues, being cocky & funny too..Music was nice, rendered by Ilaiyaraja, specially Cheeni Kum etc.
This is a movie, that I would love to see over & over again..perhaps this movie, will never be old to me, like few other movies I have listed as my favorites.
Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment