Monday, May 24, 2010

Sunday offs....making pasta at home.

[My apologies for this delayed post. I wrote it yesterday, but forgot to publish...]
As I said before, taking up Culinary happened perchance. However, I dont lament on selecting this profession, but now that I am passionate. Before I joined the college, my repertoire was limited to Indian Cuisine[even that was very limited!!!] however, later my passion was solely Italian oriented. Any menu planning for any event, will not be complete without anything Italian--Pasta, Pizza, Risotto, Soups, Roasts or grills, or even desserts. Sometimes, I would rather have a complete Italian Menu[as a matter of fact, I have never been to an Italian restaurant as a guest!!!].
***
I remember, when I was in middle school, to be precise in Standard 8, I learnt how to make fresh pasta, from scratch. It was tagliatelle or fettuccine I made, as far I can recollect. Whatever I made, I saw it from the TV[back then, Pasta was not a craze...] & made the fresh pasta, in my mother's absence[Most of the cooking has been in her absence, lest she would start scolding]. Well, with all humility, it was good. However, I never made fresh pasta at home, after those trials, since I wanted to have a pasta maker to make stuffed pasta or lasagna[I am not good in using the rolling pin!!]. When dry fettuccine, spaghetti etc are there in market, why take the trouble to make the fresh one at home??
Coming here in Dubai, I think the first thing I bought was a pasta machine. It is a longterm investment, I guess & such things are difficult to get in India, specifically in Kolkata. Initially, I made lasagne oneday,n the other day, I made blue cheese ravioli, but for the past one week, I was planning to make pumpkin ravioli[roasted the pumpkin for it a week before]. So today is another off, why not make pumpkin ravioli???
To follow, I also had some quails, lying in the freezer since Easter. I have to finish off those stuff, before I go on vacation. Also polenta, risotto etc are always with me. I also bought some chicken bones yesterday for making brown stock[Yes, I am running short of brown stock!!! :((].So the Carte de Jour
Ravioli con Zucca
Pumpkin & Parmesan Ravioli, Tomato-basil sauce
-
Quagliette Arrosto
Pan-roasted quail, polenta, buttered vegetables & pan-juices
Recipes???...Hmm...well..on request!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment