Thursday, February 25, 2010

World Cuisine Series!!!

Quest for Thai Cuisine....

I remember, when I was in second year in College, I had this passion to learn about Global Cuisines. Reason?My friend Cari Smith tells me, her grandmother told her "Stomach is the way to conquer a man's heart"---but she guesses that this works for all--men & women alike. Yes, I feel even in the same way. Most of our guests are in "home away from home". I am now an expat now, will really appreciate if someone cooks my homefood, when I am away from home, away from country. My priority will be a bengali food, then Indian Food & finally Continental [preferably Italian!!!], when I am away from home, but you must be knowing I dont like spicy food. I am sure, Noel begs to differ in this opinion as he will rather have not filipino food, but Indian food--away from home.

So coming back to what we were discussing...I started off with Thai Cuisine, during my "Quest for Global Cuisine". Reason??It is one of the most happening Cuisine of future, as I can foresee [I have special abilities to foresee...I am sorry, if you dont!!!], it is one of the most popular Asian Cuisine, apart from its Pan Asian counterpart--Chinese, Japanese etc. Thirdly, the ingredients used, contribute a lot of flavour, also the chillies tend to make it spicy too!!!

I never learnt Thai Cuisine, as I did for Italian, French or very my own Bengali/Indian cuisine. I always read by the Menu of Ban Thai, an upscale authentic Thai restaurant in Kolkata [The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata], try to match it with my notes, & try to make out the ingredients & the possible method. I remember cooking pure thai food for my aunt, when I cooked for her, for the first time when she came to Kolkata from California.
The menu was like this
"Mee Grob
Sam Tom Esan
-
Tom Kha Kai
-
Pad Pak Ruam Nit
Kaeng Kua Sapparod
-
Sangkaya
Sa-koo piag
Tab-tim Grob"

I am sure you dont understand the head & tail of this menu. Mee Grob is a crispy appetiser, made with rice vermicelli. This is deep fried--making it super crispy, & then tossed with a sweet & sour dressing & an assortment of garnish. This tastes kind of our Chaat, specially if made with Bhujia.
"Sam Tom Esan" is the most popular & world famous "Thai Salad". Its pretty simple, made with raw papaya, grated & tossed with some tomatoes, some beans, some tamarind/lime juice, chillies, garlic. Trick is that all ingredients are mixed  by a mortar & pestle!!

Proceeding to the following is "Tom Kha Kai/Gai" [FYI..Kai/Gai...="Chicken", Kha="Galangal"] Tom refers to something that is simmered, if I am not wrong. It is a very simple soup, with a lot of flavours, from Kaffir Lime Leaves, from Galangal, from Fish Sauce & the full-bodied Coconut Milk. All are simmered & then shavings of chicken & put on bowls with a gentle squeeze of lime juice....

Pad Pak Ruam Nit---simply put stir-fried vegetable!!! No fuss....

Kaeng Kua Sapparod--Pineapple & Prawns curry. This is another simple curry, Prawns & Pineapples are simmered for a couple of minutes in a fiery red curry. Actually the sweetness in Pineapples helps to balance the fiery curry, apart from the addition of coconut milk. Next comes the dessert course, my alltime favourite course..
Sangkaya--I simply love this dessert. This is so simple, but so beautiful. We can call it an oriental version of "Creme Caramel" without the Caramel, or "Steamed Custard".  All you need is egg yolks, coconut cream, sugar & some jasmine extract. Mix, steam, chill & serve.
Saakoo Piag is another simple dessert, but served warm with lots of tropical fruits. Tapioca pearls or "Saagu" is boiled with water & then with coconut cream, sugar & a topping made of coconut cream-sugar.
Crispy water chestnut jelly or "Tab Tim grob" is little tedious to make..but worth it....

At the end of the meal..my aunt [Fondly, I call her "Boromaa"...], she was blown away..so was my little cousin!!!!

During my little stint in Chola Sheraton, I cooked a lot of curries, specially Yellow Curry, Green Curry & Red Curry. Few important ingredients I could jot down, from my too little experience...
Khao Neow-Sticky Rice, Glutinous
Khao Suay-Jasmine Rice
Galangal- cousin of ginger family
Fish Sauce---made from fermented fish, also known as "Nam Pla"
Basil--both hot & sweet basil
Thai Aubergine--You wont believe, it looks like green pea!!! Else, use green pea
Kaffir Lime Leaves--Leaves of flavourful Kaffir Lime, else use Lime leaves, but flavour will be different
Palm Sugar--Else Sugar
Shrimp Paste
Tamarind
Turmeric
Lemongrass
Jasmine Extract
Coconut Milk & Cream
Coriander/Cilantro
& Chillies!!!!

Recently, my interest in Thai Cuisine has "rejuvenated", since the arrival of Chef Fhonthip, our Pastry Chef in Ritz Carlton [She is from Thailand!!!] & our *light* discussions on Thai Culture. Thanks to my uncle, who got my Thai Cuisine notes from Kolkata, on his way back to California last week!!Now I am ready to present my expertise in Thai Cuisine, to Chef Fhonthip [Chef, I hope you are reading it!!!] & earn a credit [1 more cream cheese??? ;) ].
Now, I am hungry, sleepy also need to get my clothes from Laundry. But before I go..a recipe for you..."Sangkaya"...my favorite!!!

Sangkaya
Ingredients:-
Eggs- 6
Coconut Cream- 250 ml
Sugar/Palm Sugar- 250 gm
Jasmine Extract 1/2 tsp
Method:-
1)Combine eggs, coconut cream, sugar & jasmine extract & beat together for about 2 minutes.
2)Steam the mixture in a 9 inch cake pan for around 30 minutes, in a steamer.
3)Allow it to cool, cut & serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment