Monday, February 15, 2010

College Days......Introduction to the world of "Hospitality"....

Part III

Well, then the Interview was with Taj. I was all set for the written tests--purely based on Kitchen Technicals. Technical round was pretty good, I was happy with it & then appeared for the GD. But another fish market & politics behind ruined my dreams..
Simply wiped off..
Now, again I am all set for another campus interview. It was The Park Group of Hotels. For me, it was like a do or die. Rather the full form of END--Effort Never Dies. I appeared for the GD. Fortunately, it was not a fish market this time. I could speak, but a little--"un peut".

I was forwarded for the following round--technicals. I was always good at it[now out of sight is out of mind...]. Mr. Siraj Mukherjee took my interview. I still remember the date, Nov.1, 2007, time was around 8 pm in the evening, when Mr.Mukherjee called me for the interview in the room.
He started off, "Good evening Mr. Ghosh, how are you doing?".
I replied, "I am good, thank you, how abt you Mr. Mukherjee?"
He answered, "Yes, I am good too, thank you. So you are into which cuisine?"
I replied, "I am in Continental."[I didn't mention Italian, for obvious reasons].
He then asked me, "Well, if you are into continental, can you please specify, whether you have knowledge of French, Italian, German, Spanish etc cuisines?"
I said,"Sir, its Italian".
And then....well, it was a rapid fire round. He was shooting & I was brave enough to save myself from his countless bullets & at the end, he said, "Well, we will inform you if you are shortlisted for the following rounds".
In a couple of days, I got the results --shortlisted for Kitchen Management Trainee. I am not happy, as I note the word "Shortlisted candidates", that means appear for the final rounds.
Well, I also appeared for Hyatt Hotels in India & was selected for Grand Hyatt, Mumbai--a mammoth in India, but pay??Its better if I dont discuss it here.. :)
Then I also appeared for a few retails like Pizza Hut, Wills Lifestyle--but I was being thrown out in the final rounds...
Anyways, in Feb. 2008 end, Park sent us invitation for attending the final rounds in Mumbai. Voila...my first Mumbai trip.
I went, I saw the trial, appeared for the trial...& I lost it too..I was feeling so low..
But, what is there to be low??Did I lose anything???Yes, may be a management trainee offer could have been in my bag, but nothing I lost.
Finally, Imperial Hotel of New Delhi came. This is one of the finest & classy hotel in India. It also dates back to the british era. I was successful in the GD, technicals & Mr. Amit Puri, the then HR Manager of the hotel said he will recruit me, as a Trainee D.C.D.P. [with a good pay also..] however, he wanted me to visit Exe. Chef also. I said, no issues, & then after a week or so, he gave me a date for the final rounds--however, due to non-availability of tickets--both by rail or air, I had to cancel my trip to Delhi.
And when I followed up again regarding this issue, I heard he has left....
Well, that was my campus story & post campus, it was exam time...
I appeared, I wrote & I passed with "B.Sc. in Hotel & Hospitality Administration" Degree!!!

Why such a tragedy??Since 2006 till 2009--had faced all kind of runarounds...perhaps more to come...Almighty knows!!
I remember, on September 30th, 2004, while going to the college, I had a terrible accident. A rod in the bus bumped against my forehead & my forehead was deeply cut [If you notice, you can still find the scar mark] & bad luck is following me since then. How long will this continue???When will things unfold???May be an astrologer can tell me for sure...
I end this chapter here, as I have nothing amazing to share from college days. Perhaps, life worsened since then, since I was welcomed into the world of "Hospitality", even I got spoilt, so did many. Few tried to remain virtuous, but how many could???
Its so dark....

No comments:

Post a Comment