Wednesday, February 10, 2010

College Days......Introduction to the world of "Hospitality"....

Part II

I rejoined college in November, 2005, post my industrial training. Everything seemed to be changed by then. New principal, new class[as I got promoted to second year..], new professor [Debasis Das, abbreviated to D.D. & Suddhasil Dey aka Suddho]. Class timings also changed, so the kitchen. We were in Quantity Kitchen...cook for bulk, around 200 ppl at a time, & specially the second year was dedicated to Indian Cuisine, if we talk about kitchen. Rest, in F&B service, we had only alcoholic beverages & F&B controls. The subject Alcoholic Beverages was above my head...I can tell you dozens of wines but I dont know, whether they are rose, dessert, white or dry..or wutever...Only I learnt how to drink them.
Housekeeping class was a no-no for me...rather a full timepass, so was Front Office.
In second year, I learnt about Indian Cuisine in detail, while my own studies on Continental Cuisine was still on, rather on many cuisines, viz., Greek, German, Japanese, Italian, Spanish & Portuguese. I always had the passion for knowing about a lot of cuisines. Food is such an essential stuff, that can help you even win someone's heart. If I know about diff. cuisine, I can always satisfy my guest, from wherever he be & wherever he has come down on holidays/business etc. I will always feel great, if some unknown person cooks my home food, for me, when I am away from my country/city.
Classes were going on....I remember, we used to have kitchen practicals twice a week & I used to be the person who will make the gravies for 200 ppl!!!
Well, that sounds a lot. Making gravies were no easy job for so many people---masalas spilling out of the Handi[a big stockpot] on my face, gravies coming out of the handi on my eyes often...but fun...whilst in the meantime, I used to ask my seniors what kind of questions they were asked in their campus interviews, so that I can prepare for myself.
With all humility, by the end of 2nd year, the theoretical knowledge I possessed, was far above than anyone could imagine. But unfortunately, I dont have a big-brother in this industry, except a cousin, now settled in Ireland. Still, I dont want to take help of people. When you get things in your own effort, doesn't success smell better then??To me, it does..
I was all set for the final exams of 2nd year. This time, it was a little difficult for me, as I had to clear two more papers, which I flunked in 1st year. I was not ready for those papers, in which I got a back. But, no options, either I pass or I lose a year...
I appeared....
***
May 29th, 2006.
Time:1330 hrs[approx.]
Place: Student's Notice Board, IHM, Kolkata

The result of 1st year is out, with those who re-appeared in the first year paper. I went down to see my result. My heart started beating fast. I found out my name in the result sheet, with my roll no. I was following the line...
No....let me see again..what is the marks I have secured?35 out of 100??? No..No....Let me see again....
Again, I see its 35[FYI..pass mark is 40]. How come???Let me see....everytime I check & cross-check, its nothing but 35.
I was awestruck. I didn't know what to do. I started sweating...the weather was not hot, but my shirt became wet...how will I tell my mother?How will I tell my father?Certainly, they wanted me to pass...but how can I afford to lose a year in life....ONE YEAR!!!!
A loss of a year is a lot, which our college Principal Mr. Ranjit Choudhury told my father. I was so desperate for the campus interviews, almost ready to jump to 3rd year & excel in culinary, but this setback.....I was fallen apart.
I still recount those days..I wouldn't go out, I wouldn't shave...I wouldn;t follow any routine, I wouldn't pick up my phone, I wouldn't meet friends..
I started becoming unsocial, as my mother used to comment. She didn't take it negatively. She told me to be brave & give it a blow by another re-appear. Sometimes, I used to feel lost.
But what will I do in one year?I thought of applying in hotels as a trainee for 1 year, at least I can be in touch with the subject, but when the time is odd..nothing will work!!!
Finally, my ultimate option was call centre, or in better words "B.P.O.". I tried applying & failed also. I tried with Hutch, Dell & Wipro. Failed in three, as whoever, asked me about my future plans I used to tell them "Be a chef", like a dumb.
Asked Mr.Raja Sadhukhan, the then Asst. Lecturer of F&B in our college. He said, "Tell them you have left the course". Another Lie?I hate lying & I hate liars. Sometimes, Lying on compulsion...so be it this time. I appeared for HSBC GSC[Group Service Center] in Kolkata[Formerly, Calcutta]. After a couple of days of interview, I was told, I am selected. But joining?No idea...
I was sitting idle at home mostly. This period was such painful for me. The kitchen books---I started losing interest in them...my mother would often start taking tests for the reappear subject--Hotel Engineering.
Finally, after a long wait I joined HSBC & soon after that appeared for the Hotel Engineering Exam & passed in the exam too.[Thank god..got rid of the subject for good]I dont wish to discuss my 14 months tenure in the Call Centre. I was awarded many a times, & rebuked too, a couple of times, when I gave resignation.
I remember, when I gave my resignation, my Manager Operations of the process, called me in a separate room & started questioning me why I would like to leave.I told him, "My health is worsening day by day, due to this night shift+A/C+ I would love to join my college". He was not ready to listen to my excuse. I was like a hard nut to crack. He stopped talking to me. I?I dont even give a f*** to these people. They can go to hell. But not speaking to all???Its weird to me---as until I have anything personal to people, I speak to all. Oneday after my shift, I saw him around our cabin. I said lightly, "Well, these days people are so busy, they dont even speak to me". He caught it & said, "Even I can say that" & then we started laughing at each other. After a couple of days, he came to me & asked me, "Gaurav, are you reconsidering your decision??". I replied, "No...no way...not at all" & went back to the calls. Again, with due humility, I was awarded a lot of times with quality awards, rising superstar, team top performer & Mr.Fitness for zero sick leaves!!! I knew, I was a good contributor, but my priority was college then.
When my service was about to end with HSBC, I gave them a bait. If you want me here, I want to do part-time...not full time.
MO was serious. He took that matter right to the President of the GSC, Mrs. Lynne Thrasher & got it approved. Why did I want to continue?Well, I was smelling good amount of money by then & couldn't afford to lose a lucrative job. It was paying me well, at least for my pocket money[for food & lodging--father's hotel is still there] & my necessities{it being very basic, eating & freaking out, books & exotic stuff for my cooking}so why quit it?
***
I rejoined college in third year. It was initially difficult as joining in 3rd year, with almost no friends, who I already knew. Thank God, Kaustav was there, despite his lies.
Nothing much happened initially, except few thrashings from the principal on attendance. My schedule was like getting up at 6 am, get ready for college, be to college by 8:50 am , & be there till 5 pm, be back home by 6 pm, get ready for work, comes to pick up at 7:30 pm from home, login at work by 8:30 pm & work till 1:00 am, return home by 2:00 am, check mails for 1/2 hour & go to sleep by 3 am & get by at 6 am!!!Not everyday such schedule was possible. I used to get up late sometimes..& miss college..
So life became hard when principal sent letters to parents on attendance
The Campus interview bell started ringing. Appeared for the first one, with Kingfisher. It was a horrible one. The G.D. round turned into a fish market & the team was just white-washed. The following one was with the Oberois. I always dreamt of working with Oberois, as the group is a benchmark of professionalism in India. I went for the interview, dreaming to be a part of the group, as a management trainee. But what man proposes, God is always there to dispose off.
I was called at around 6:30 pm in the evening. The Sous Chef took my interview. After a brief introduction about myself, he started asking me in Indian Cuisine. I am a dumb in Indian cuisine. I told him, about my shortcomings in Indian cuisine. Then he started asking me on Continental & by my own grace[i am being selfish, not crediting God for this]I could answer all his questions...from Continental to tit-bits of Mediterranean. Then he asked me, "Will you come in for a trial, if I shortlist for Operational Training Program?". What the f***???I was expecting something higher above..but O.T.??Anyways, I agreed to his proposal & suggested him a menu. He said its fine & advised me to revisit after a couple of days for trial.
Dont ask me what happened in the trial,rather I will tell you the outcome. Chef George K. George, a Keralite called me in his office, post-food trial & told me, "Gaurav, its not that you cant work in kitchen, but your standards are not as per Oberoi standards, so I can't select you further". What the F***???How will I know Oberoi standards, having done my training from ITC?

More to come....keep on following....

No comments:

Post a Comment