Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday offs & cooking with friends...

Umm...today...Sunday..is a good day. When an European specially an English says "Today is a good day"...it means, he wants to drink. Same thing happens down South, Australia --I am not aware whether this legacy has been left by the Britishers when they left India.To me, Good day means a day, when you can relax[my friend Kaustav makes it a combination of "Chillax"-->Chill+relax], drink[yes,if you want. Non-alcoholics find pleasure in endless carbonated bevvies, etc whilst the alcoholics...no need to talk about them], get up late from the bed & sleep as many times you want to..n cook!!!![When I am home, I would rather ask my mother to cook, than cooking for me!!].
I was going through a video of Chef Gordon Ramsay, "The F word" series to be specific. In one of the videos, he says, about rib-eye "It is a chef's dream". Partially true, I cooked a couple of weeks before, the meat was excellent.
I was planning with a friend, for "joint-cooking", since our day off is on the same day. How about rib-eye??He had no problems, though according to him, beef is a little heavy.Cooking is fine..how abt a little menu planning??I love to cook for friends & also cooking with friends...its kind a fun..u know..
I decided on having Tortilla Espanola as our Amuse bouche. I can now fantasize on Spanish cooking, since I am now studying their cuisine. Though, I am now learning Sushi, I am not a sushi lover--but got to taste is, being a chef..
Let me not drift away from today's point of discussion.
After the amouse bouche, the first course is a simple salad. My friend loves to have light food[I dont know what pleasure he gets in it....!!!]. Its a simple romaine lettuce with balsamic dressing, orange segments topped with grilled chicken[I dont think he will have the same nightmare, like the last time..when his Caesar's salad was topped with horrible grilled chicken] & semi-dried tomato.
Moving on to next course, the main course, is the favorite butter-grilled rib-eye, an adapted version of Chef Gordon Ramsay. I have my own sides--roasted pumpkin, confit potatoes, buttered carrots. My friend loves to have beef cooked medium, so he doesn't prefer sauce. For me, sauce is the complement for the mains. So I made my rosemary jus with pan drippings.
Something sweet???We were hanging around a couple of days & we were planning our menu. I asked, "How about panna cotta?? It is so simple..served with summer fruits compote..what do you think??" & then we came across a picture of pannacotta with mango. He said, "How about mango?"..I said, "Yes..why not..let's give it a try". I made the pannacotta,traditional vanilla flavouring, however, I also put grated orange zest to give it a distinct flavour & served it with fresh mango..
At the end of the meal..my friend was more than full....I was a little high after 2 cans of Heineken. I was full too. I am sure, my friend liked my food...n the dessert was not too sweet, which made it more palatable & I asked, "I hope u liked the lunch.."..he said, "Its not lunch..but brunch..Sunday brunch".
All is well..that ends well... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment