Thursday, December 5, 2013

My Gateway to Europe...Paris


"A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life."
----Thomas Jefferson.

I was longing to visit Paris since 2011(especially because I adore French Food & the Language to some extent...French women..well, to certain extent... ) & finally because of my work, my wishes (and prayers) came true.


November 29th, 2013
Place: Charles de Gaulle Airport, France
Time : 800 hrs (local time)

We landed and greeted with a lots of "Bienvenue", "Au Revoir" & finally a arrive Paris. It was freaking cold (yes..at 6 deg C, way cooler than where I live in or belong to). I was dead tired & first thought of retiring for the day, but then I am in Paris for about 24 hours--I will not let this chance go away. After a quick shower, messaged my buddy in Paris, a local frenchie, Robinson. Robinson is originally from D'Auvergne currently working in Paris & we worked together in Dubai.

Best Croissants I ever had..
About 1030 hrs
I just went to check out how to go to Paris proper (I was being put up in Roissy) & also found out croissants for us.After having those deliciously & heavenly croissants I headed off to Roissypole and from there bought a day pass for all the metro/underground--can be used all throughout Paris. Price- Euro 22.30
It was great to see around once in the metro as in some parts it was actually above the ground--could see the beautiful countryside. Europe is truly beautiful. If Asia is Male, Europe is its other half--truly female!!

About 1200 hours
I reached St.Michel & after getting out from the metro, the place I was looking for was Fontaine St. Michel. The weather was freezing cold (didn't I say 6 degrees and drizzling) & place was so, so beautiful. Inside, my happiness new bounds. Yes, I am in Paris--FINALLY!
I was just roaming around only to hope if people speak in English. My french comprises only a handful of french words--I understand too little french, so my only resort was "Parlez vous anglais?" (Do you speak English?) & if they speak a little, i.e. "Un peut", perfect, "Monsieur, where is Fontaine St. Michel?". It was nice to walk on the streets of Paris--its lanes, alleys ...so, so nice!!
About 1330 hours
My friend showed up finally. But by then, I was very very hungry...Lets go lunch.
It was not an ordinary lunch--as my friend promised he popped up a very nice bottle of Moet et Chandon Brut. Life is Good!!
My starters were Frog Legs (not so tasty, and quite dry) while Robinson had Terrine de Boeuf (Beef Terrine and nice). Main courses--I had a decadent steak tartare (tasty and less salty with frites) whilst Robinson had Magret (i.e. Duck breast with pepper sauce & mash). I was too full & too high--else I was craving for some cheese! No wonder when it comes to gastronomy, France should rule the world (Or I am just being partial cause I adore French cuisine...I dont know!! ).
About 1500 hours
After having spent a good time in the cafe while having our lunch & chatting with Robinson about different affairs of life, we decided to head off to Notre Dame. Yes, does it remind you of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo?
This magnificent architecture, "Notre dame de paris" (or Our Lady of Paris), a cathedral still stands strong for over 600 years & characterises french Gothic style & built along the beautiful river Seine.
About 1600 hours
It started getting dark. We headed to Au Bon Marche (Literally, Nice Market) & was amazed to see a supermarket keeping premium fresh products. Wonderful..Foie gras, many types of oysters, jumbo sized prawns & yes an amazing collection of wines. Nice..nice!!I just bought two things for myself--Pain d'Epice & Piquillo--something that I dont get in Abu Dhabi.
About 1630 hours
So beautiful...no??
We headed off to Madeleine--to see more of Paris. More chic, more elegant. Somehow, it just reminded me of my city--Calcutta (or Kolkata, the way you like to call it!! ). Anyways, we just checked in & out stores. Wonderful stuff & then headed to a shop called "Maison de Whiskey", or House of Whiskey. It has an amazing collection of whiskeys--scotch, bourbon, tenessee, single malt & also houses some liquors from the carribbean. My friend being a connoisseur of whiskey bought a bottle of ... (dont remember!! ).
About 1730 hours
Its now time to explore more of Paris. And it was completely dark then. So, we then headed off to Champs Elyssee followed by Arc du Triomphe (Arch of Victory! )
To my awe, Champs Elyssee was amazingly beautiful and on the same lane stood afar, with all its glory, Arc de Triomphe. Robinson & I was walking towards Arc du Triomphe and all of a sudden felt Christmas is around the corner..so many stalls selling all winter goodies, foods & yes, vin chaud (the french version of mulled wine), when all of a sudden there were glimpses of the beautiful Eiffel Tower.
About 1800 hours
We took the metro again just to go La Tour Eiffel.
And there she stood for about 125 years, the magnificent architecture Eiffel Tower. A travel to paris is just incomplete if Eiffel tower is not
Decadent snails
visited I think. But by then, I was dead tired.So I said Au Revoir to Eiffel Tower and wanted to head back home!!
About 2000 hours
I reached home..very, very hungry. So I went to eat in the hotel restaurant. My starter was Snails (or Escargots as you would say in french) with mushrooms ...very very tasty followed by a rossini style beef tenderloin cooked the french way "Saignant"--damn good!!

The following morning I left for Abu Dhabi.

Walking through the streets of Paris, I fell in love with the city. Perhaps, after my hometown, I will be emotionally connected only with Paris. So gorgeous & so beautiful. Sometimes, I wish why wasn't I born in Paris? If I am to born again, my earnest wish to my creator will be, "Can I have the pleasure of enjoying the beautiful from birth to death?"

P.S.- I cannot wait to go to Paris again...J'aime Paris!! Bisous....

No comments:

Post a Comment