Sunday, February 20, 2011

An evening in Olypub...

"Gaurav...let's go to Olypub", Kaustav was telling me, once we were done with our classes.
"Fine..but where the hell it is??", I asked him.
"It's in Park Street--let's boose", Kaustav added. Two more members of this crime--Joydeep & Joydev. The date, I faintly remember, it was somewhere in the end of January of 2005...from when, officially I started "boozing"....
___
Well, to describe Olypub, it will be real difficult. People swear that nowhere you will get the same ambience like Olypub. The people...mostly dropping in after college, after work, in the midst of work for some *quick relief*,  or just for a casual affair. Olypub is a place for everyone & for everything..
Those waiters, overworked...looking for more & more tips..even if by the means of extortion..
Those same old glasses for everything--beer, water, liqours & even for the check..
Those dingy, shabby getup of the resto-bar...
Even,I started eating beef[the low quality of Indian beef, compared to Angus, Kobe etc] from this place...
___
No sooner, did Kaustav initiate me in the "booze" business, I became a fan of this place. Frequenting this place after classes in college, in the weekends, after exams...or sometimes, during fests etc.
I went to Olypub this time, on January 16th, 2010 to meet two of my friends...Joydeep, who stays in the city & William--who is a NRI like me.
"Gaurav, dont puke 4 bottles after you drink one bottle of beer", was Joydeep's cautious statement, when I ordered one bottle of Budweiser, alongwith Chicken ala kiev[Kaustav's favorite], whilst Joydeep had a pint of Kingfisher and William had whisky--shared a mixed grill[my favorite too..but too much fat!!!].
It has really been a longtime...since I stepped out of this dingy, little place..the ambience has changed drastically...we've changed, the patrons of Olypub has changed..and so are the waiters[One of my friends used to call them as "Dushman", meaning, "Enemy"...his justification,"If he had been my friend, would he have charged us???"..we all agreed to his conclusion...perhaps...]
Our discussion over there was mostly based on our work...a little a personal life...and ended up with dirty talks....who kissed whose ass...who slept with who...whilst William indulged in more & more alcohol.
At around 9:45, we had to call off...settling the "bill"/ check, whilst, the waiter had the same poor attitude---charging us extra for tips--with which we never agreed--same life before & then headed to find a cab--yes, too reach home, though William was reluctant to go home rather wanted to go somewhere else, for physical gratification.

No comments:

Post a Comment