Saturday, February 26, 2011

Campus Interviews..

"What is his name, sitting next to you?", the professor aka Baap of IHM asked a student.
"His name is ......., " the student replied.
"And what relationship do you have with him?", Baap asked the same student.
"Sir, he is my best friend....", the student said.
"Well, will he be your friend during campus interviews also???", this was Baap's third question & hopefully the last question.
There was silence...pindrop silence in the Students' Dining Hall, abbreviated to S.D.H.
----
Campus interviews are perhaps, the most threatening period for a student, who was struggling to reach this stage. Its a period---do or die. Either you get it...or you don't. You fight for it...you win it...if you dont, you lose it to someone else. No friendship during the interviews, during group discussion. If you are fortunate enough, you can work with your best friends...
When it comes to my Campus interviews...I will share my part of the story..the most crucial stages, I went through. Crucial to the point, that I used to sleep for only 3 hrs those days...Personal problems, problems in family, low attendance in college & work..many many things etc.
If I recollect properly, the first campus interview I appeared for ...was for Kingfisher. In any case, I was never interested to join any airlines for a ground staff or whatever. I was interested to have an experience for the "interviews" & "group discussion". I was poor in group discussions..most of the times, when my turn came,  I was put off by some other "friend", who tried to establish his fact was correct & ultimate..and ultimately, the entire group was disqualified.
After that...it was with Oberois. If you get a job as OCLD [as a management trainee], its like a dream come true. If you dont get it...you have some other options....or may be nothing. We went to The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata. The then Training Manager, Mr. Deepak Malhotra greeted us & we had a first round. It was introducing each other, career aspirations. Thank god..to my english[I think it was good] & my pronunciation, I was shortlisted for the next round...when it was already 2 pm. Time for lunch...& when my turn came for the next round...it was almost 7:30 pm. I was getting bored in the ballroom, there were not enough good looking girls though...to chat!!
Finally, my turn came. This turn is like you make it...or you break it. Either you get shortlisted for OCLD...or operational trainee.. or simply put...kicked out.
I dont remember the chef's name now...he was a Sous Chef, a muslim guy. First he asked me about myself [now this is so cliched!!] & finally the place where from, I did my training. When I said, I did from ITC Sonar, he started asking me which outlet & what was the most selling dish. "Murg Malai Kabab", I said.
He started shooting, "What is it made of?", I started guessing...and said, "Yellow chilly powder". He was surprised, "Yellow chilly powder??or white pepper powder". I was strong, saying, "Chef, it was yellow chilly powder", it seemed I couldn't convince him. Then he asked me, "What is Shah Jeera in english?". I was good in European cuisine and equally dumb in Indian cuisine. A person who can tell you the basic gravies & some talks on North Indian food...but when it came to basics...I was a disaster. "I dont know", was my humble reply. "What is Kalonji?", his next question. Complete surrender. "I dont know", I said.
"So, which cuisine are you focussing on, Indian??", this was his question then, when he found me dumb in the indian section.
"Chef, I am into Continental", I was ready for him to ask me questions on Continental Cuisine.
Then it was my turn to answer all questions, correctly, to his questions. I guess, he was asking me questions from all around the world, but Indian. I was smart enough, to showcase my knowledge too...Moroccan, Spanish, Italian, French & many many stuff..
His final throw, "If I shortlist you for an operational trainee position, will you come for a food trial?"
I, having no offers in hand, said, "Yes".
"Ok..what will you prepare?", he asked me.
I gave him a three course menu & he asked me, how shall I prepare each of them. And then, I left for the day.
***
I was ready after two days..for the food trial. I reached The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata, located in the busiest part & the most happening part of the city, with its grandeur & old fashioned form...existing for over a century. After having a brief interaction with the then Executive Chef, Chef George K. George, from Kerala, I started off in the La terrace kitchen. Thank god..the kitchen was not busy enough, but when I look back from now, my menu was nowhere close to contemporary menus. Neither, it was expected from a fresh college passout. A person, having no experience in working in any professional kitchen, it was difficult for me, to run from one kitchen to another. My soup was "Cream of Mushroom with Ginger", salad was "Russian Salad", & Main course was "Grilled Chicken Aurore, Aurore sauce, steamed broccoli & Duchesse potatoes," apart from Hollandaise sauce, which everyone had to prepare to show the culinary skill.
I was fighting with my overcooked...undercooked potatoes, to mash them. I was afraid, my hollandaise was a failure & my chicken was getting overcooked.
Finally, the presentation time came. If I was selected, it would have been grace of God...if not, I was ready for it.
"What soup is this?", Chef George asked me.
"Its Cream of Mushroom with ginger", I said, my voice was weak.
"Aah...that means Indian style," He asked me with a smile.
"Umm...I mean I saw this recipe in BBC", I said, quite fumbling...giving an excuse.
"If people can become chefs after watching BBC, why do we need catering colleges?", he said.
I had no answer to his question. He tasted the other foods, and said nothing. After tasting the food of the other mates, informed us to have Lunch in their employee cafetaria & later meet him in person.
We were waiting outside to meet, after the lunch. He called me in, "Gaurav, Is this your first trial?".
I said,"Yes".
"What do you think of it?"
"It was not good, "I said.
"Well, I am sorry, we wont be able to proceed your application any further. Its not that you cannot work in kitchen, but it is not as per Oberoi standards".
I was expecting such outcome, "Thats ok Chef...Thank you.!!" I left his office...

The next one...was, well...with The Taj. It is a game...it is a game by Amitava K. Sen, a senior lecturer of third year classes[generally] & also placement-in charge. If you are in his good books, if you have praised him a lot[Butter..get me right, Butter with some nasal tone]you are for The Taj. If you are not, the end period is not for you.
The Taj conducted a written exam, on the basics followed by a Group Discussion. I said a few words in the GD...but in the end...disqualified. Nothing much to say in this case...
Next came The Park group of Hotels. The GD was fine...I said only one line...& was quickly shortlisted for the Personal Interview with Mr.Siraj Mukherjee, the then Training Manager of The Park Group of Hotels. Once I entered his room, his first question, "Gaurav, which cuisine are you focussing in??".
"Continental", was my reply, not knowing whether I should be specific.
"Continental...well, be specific...French, Italian, Spanish....??" he asked me.
"Italian, to be specific", I fumbled.
Then started a rapid fire round...perhaps, the best rapid fire round, when it comes to interviews. He was shooting me questions...& I was able to tackle him--a few mistakes here & there. I forgot..what was scamorza... :(
After a couple of days, he sent the results & I was shortlisted as a Kitchen Management Trainee[subjected to further interviews in Mumbai], but never forget this was the same person, who rejected my application for Industrial trainee, in December, 2004.
---
Campus interviews were becoming a daily thing...some happy faces..some unhappy faces used to appear at the end of the interviews...Some got what they wanted..Some never got what they wanted, & Some got what they never wanted...Some people, who will backstab....some green eyes...some surprised faces...and so many...
For someone like me...who doesn't have a Godfather in Hospitality industry...getting an offer during Campus interviews was difficult. I didn't learn the art of flattering, which would have secured me a better offer--may be the most coveted position of Kitchen Management trainee. Neither, I was an excellent or outstanding student in college.
***
I remember, attending the Pizza Hut interviews. I succeeded in the GD & then personal interview. I was rejected in the Personal Interview...perhaps, the personnel manager, assumed I am meant for Kitchen..not for service.
Next was Hyatt..I succeeded in the GD, followed by a psychometric test..in which I passed & followed by a personal Interview. I succeeded in that too...offered a position of Commis chef position in the gigantic Grand Hyatt, Mumbai. But salary???I guess, it was peanuts back then.
Next & perhaps, the final one I attended was "The Imperial Hotel", in New Delhi, a majestic hotel in the capital city of India for over 70 years. I succeeded in the GD...followed by an interview with the Personnel Manager. He was impressed with my vast knowledge in Italian cuisine...& shortlisted me for the further rounds in Delhi....a meeting with the Exe. Chef. Which ultimately, never happened...he left that hotel!!!

This was a pain...cracking the interviews in the college...The Park group of hotels didn't hire any student from our college that year...ITC Park Sheraton didn't revert back on what happened to the food trial we gave in ITC Park Sheraton...so ultimately, I had no other option than joining Grand Hyatt, Mumbai...for a meagre basic salary!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment