Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mother of all nourishment...Soups...

This blog is not a culinary school, or whatever, who will teach you what soup is, how is it made of & lots of fundas related to soups. So lets make it clear that Soup is the mother of all nourishment, provided its made with time, with patience, with right ingredients & served in right temperature....
It is winter now in the Northern Hemisphere & a good soup is a real comfort, like the same comfort you get in the arms of your lover.Broadly, classified as thick, thin & regional soups, the warm soups are always special during winter, whilst during summers one would definitely prefer light soups & cold soups--examples can be Gazpacho, Minestrone, Broths & a lot of variations. The calling for winter is more hearty, thick soups, can be Cream soups, Puree soups, Bisques and the likes!!

I vaguely remember, my childhood experience of having soup at home & in the restaurants. At home, it was a meal for me during fever, generally consisted of potatoes, beans, eggs & peppered water. Since, we used to frequent to Chinese restaurants, the soups would generally be & not limited to Sweet Corn soup with Chicken & I always used to make it palatable, by adding a generous portion of Tomato Ketchup--yes, that was my condiment for everything...perhaps, I despised it when it came to desserts.

Post-joining the hotel management thing, I learnt to make soups, when I tasted the Consomme--a basic, difficult & easy thin soup!!!! Apart from seafood bisque, creme de tomate, puree de lentils, Zuppa Minestrone & a hell lot of soups. During our culinary classes, in the college, a three course menu, would mostly feature a soup. By now, I may perfect the consistency of a cream soup, or a puree soup, but then, it was difficult for me to get the right consistency.Sometimes too thick...& sometimes too thin & all sorts of game.

I am not a fan of a soup, bigtime!!! But yes, in a chilly winter I get some comfort, if I am served with a hearty Cream of Chicken Soup or the coffee influenced "Cappuccino of Mushroom Soup", or whatever. The soup I hate the most can be broths--I may have a longtime affair with Italian[I wonder, till when it will last], but I dont like Minestrone--its both red [comes from tomato] & green[comes from the addition of pesto] version.By the way, every region has got their own minestrone. Seafoods are my alltime favorite--if served a soup with generous portion of seafood & cooked rightly, I wont definitely say no...

Making a good soup at home is not a big deal...really no big deal. All you need are the ingredients in the pure form, and a good mood, about which I will talk later.
I am sharing one of my favorite recipes of soups, it is "Cappuccino of Mushrooms & Mung beans"--because it is nourishing, healthy & perfect for a chilly evening....
All you need to make around 4 portions
Mushroom-100 gm[mix wild mushrooms, to get an earthy flavour]
Oil-20 ml
Mung beans[husk removed]-50 gm
Onion-50 gm
Garlic-2 cloves
Bay leaves- 1 no
Leek-1/2 of a stick
Celery-1/2 stick
Black peppercorns-a few
Carrot-1/2, peeled
Seasoning- as required
Cream-50 ml
Vegetable Stock/Chicken Stock/Hot water- 200 ml
Frozen butter- 25 gm
How to make the soup..
1.Wash the lentils & soak them for 1/2 hour to 1 hr. Quarter the mushrooms & saute them in oil with half of the leek, celery, onion & garlic--all finely chopped, till there is a nice, earthy aroma. Season & keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, boil the lentils with the left over of onion, leek, celery, garlic & also pop-in the carrot, rougly chopped-in stock/water--whatever using.
3. Make a sachet of bayleaf, with blackpepper corns & drop in the boiling lentils & remove after the lentil is boiled & discard.
4. Add in the mushrooms & cook till it becomes soft & make a fine puree afterwards. Adjust with additional stock/water if required & check the seasoning also.
5. Finish with cream & frozen butter & use a hand blender for making the foam--reserve the foam separately.
6.Once ready to serve, pour the soups in soup cups/bowls/espresso cups & garnish with the foam & serve with breadsticks...

Addl. Notes:
You can use butter beans, goes pretty well..or red lentils.

Now you may ask why I said, you need to have a good mood. Well, Beethoven got the answer, "Only the pure in heart can make a good soup. .. :)"
Bon Apetit!!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved it when you confessed to adding tomato ketchup to everything.Its just the way it is with most Indian households...or atleast with the urban lot...or atleast when it comes to me.Its just such a great tastmaker,thickening agent,colouring agent to the recipes that it just can't be ignored.So I do not think there is anything revolting with regards to its usage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipe! I too have a similar story of how I got into cooking!

    ReplyDelete