Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Lost years of my childhood..Part 2

Part II
Something that never struck my mind was "What is death?", even "What is life?", "Where do we come from?" & "Where do we go?"
***
It was March of 1989, some random day when I was playing around in the kindergarten (and my last year in the same Kindergarten). Around 1230 in the afternoon, I saw through the window, my mother & one of my uncles talking to a teacher. I was just wondering, what happened--they came to take me--not to home but my grand parent's house. Reason: My Grand father was not well.
During the last few years, he was ailing--nervous breakdown (as I said, before, I find it more like Alzheimer's ) & finally he was suffering from Hepatitis B. He had a completely different lifestyle. For him, always eat the best (mostly heavy foods). Though 10 years before he had a major cardiac arrest with most of his heart blocked, little did that matter to him since he had never had any issues with heart again.
So that day, we came to grand parents house to find that my grand father was admitted to the hospital (fondly, I used to call him, "Goshaai" and he would call me "Sada shiv")....
A few days later, in the afternoon, I was in the middle of the room--the other two people being my grand mother & my mother. They were talking about something (which I dont remember...)however, I can still see what was happening with my eyes open/closed. It was a cloudy day. My father was in the hospital where my grand father was admitted & in sometime, we got the news that my grand father breathed his last.
His lifeless body was brought to the house for paying the final respects. I was completely aloof of what was happening, what I was wondering was, "Why was he sleeping when everyone is crying?". His bed was adorned with many flowers & any that dropped, I was putting it back, on his chest. And finally, when he was taken to the crematorium for the funeral, I infact found a couple more flowers & regretted for not being able to put it back ...then, I actually cried a lot...but of no reason. Since, I felt something must have happened, but then I didn't know what death is? I also remember on the 4th day of his death, during the final rites as per Hindu religion I donated an umbrella to him...those were my memories when my grand father died. I heard actually many things about him, but I wished he lived a little more..

No comments:

Post a Comment