Monday, January 2, 2012

Year 2011: Re-visited

I still have clear memories of January 1st 2011....I was leaving for home around 2:30am in the morning after work & went home, amidst the traffic congestion in Sheikh Zayed Road with my colleagues--it took about an hour to reach home...then sleep & then ...work!!
When I got up in the morning, I was a little terrified since the previous evening was uncontrollably busy..around 129 covers--my boss & myself ran the show. I was afraid that January 1st wud be busy as well, but thank god---it was not!!
In days to come, I went home on vacation, i.e. to Kolkata but for 20 days, which seemed very long to me. At last, I could enjoy the winter in Kolkata & good, sound sleep...no more alarm, no one to disturb me neither, I need to get ready for work.
However, I was getting tired in the same place for almost 12-13 months in the same position and when I asked if the department has any plan for my career development[what I meant "am I going to get any promotion??", I guess it was overdue] & my question was just nulled by an answer, "Nothing before 2012". So, its time to move on I guess, and then started a period of search, job search. Ok, dont get me wrong--I love my job, but the company stopped loving me.So why shall I love the company who stopped to think about me[or it is just delinquent!!!]?
Anyways, days passed as I was looking for a change in company--I was not confident enough to secure a chef de partie position, since I need to learn a lot in the kitchen, than merely apply for a supervisor position, and however, in days to come I had two options, one of them offering a chef de partie but low salary in Seychelles and another one offering same position but with more remuneration and benefits, i.e. Hyatt. Well, I chose Hyatt---its like getting back to the old girlfriend, with who you broke up few years before. When I put down my papers in the company, many people were quite surprised that I was about to leave--it was a big decision for me, but I had no options left. In 2 hours, they were planning to promote me, however, I didn't work with them anymore--accepting the promotion means staying there & work with them--I was reluctant to do so. Days passed and came my last day...with a fond farewell & tears in my ears---yes I was moved!!Yes, I left Ritz Carlton, Dubai with a heavy heart...

I started my new life, new place, new people & altogether new kitchen, new way of working. This is what happens whenever you start in a place--no matter how experience you are, you need to act like a stupid for some days to learn and know how things work there. There are some people who you will always like at work & who you will never like just because they are idiots.And it just happens with me everywhere I go.

But yes, I enjoy my work in Hyatt, despite the long days & hours, but every moment is challenging when it is busy--I guess that was good. In my former place, I was getting lazy due to less pressure at work thus it was becoming easy life.
 I joined the main kitchen, I was being transferred to the french kitchen--cooking and serving fine French food--contemporary & classics & in my repertoire just knowledge absorption--skills, cooking, concepts & a lot of things.

When I look back at 2010 & then at 2011-I find 2011 was way ahead better than 2010---year 2010 was a year of frustrations,depressions and all sorts of negative. 2011 gave me a lot of opportunities to learn and see new things...new people, new friends.But its been a while that I am in Dubai--and it has become boring now. I remember how desperate I was to leave Dubai & this year, I hope I'll leave Dubai & try for some other countries[I am not thinking of getting back to India--to work!!].But I am looking forward to 2012---Is there any surprise in store for me??I leave that to God, let Him reveal everything in His own time!!

1 comment: