Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Trauma.... Part I

The Trauma...Part I
In college....

Date: May 27, 2006
Time: Roughly around 13:30 hrs
Place: IHM, Kolkata

Indranil came to me, "Gaurav, the ATKT results are out [ATKT-->if you get a back in any of your subjects, in this case, it was for the first year]".
I asked him, "Is it???What is my marks??Did I pass???" I was worried. This was a do or die for me. Even I fail in one or two subjects in second year, it will matter less--but if I fail again in the first year paper--I'll lose a year in college...a year drop-out in college.

I rushed to the notice board, to see my marks...keeping my fingers crossed.
The result read 35 out of 100. I verified again, "35".
Oh shit....that means I flunked!!!!
I went to Soumitra sir, aka Sammy and came back without any rays of hope. Then I ran to Raja sir...I assume he understood my condition..empathised, but without any rays of hope again. I was praying to God...I dont want to lose a year. People say "If you want to know the value of year, ask a student who lost one year...", it is so true...!!

Now what to tell my parents???That I will be a drop-out..for a person, who has never been a drop out before...who were always in good books. But I had to tell...I was too afraid of the consequences.

Having lost one year [since I passed in the second year papers...but couldn't attend college for 1 year, until I pass in "Hotel Engineering" through re-test] I had nothing to do at home. What to do??I cannot be a fulltime astrologer [a hobby then, when I was growing strong] since my parents will never approve it. I was taking suggestions then. Callcentres or BPOs...a place where I can improve my communication skills & make some quick money. So I started applying....
First one was "Hutchison Essar", now "Vodafone". Pay was comparatively low..but beggars cant be choosers. I was selected for the personal interview. I couldn't tell them that I flunked in my exams & I said, "My classes will be started from date X". The HR asked me, "How will you work then, if you have to attend classes ...I know the classes of hospitality management--you'll have some vital practical & theory classes". My application was not forwarded.

Next one was "Dell", located in Hydrabad, which means, I will have to relocate from Kolkata. I had no problem in relocation, since they were providing accommodation. I passed in the preliminary test & then I was selected for the personal interview. After a brief introduction about myself, the interviewer asked me, "Gaurav, what would you like do after completion of your course??". I proudly said, "I want to join hotels as a chef!!". I messed it up...bigtime!! Eliminated immediately.

One more hope...and it was with Wipro. I was eliminated in the second round. I was getting frustrated ....Tried at 3 places with no success. I went to visit my the then mentor, Mr. Raja Sadhukhan a lecturer in our college. "Sir, what to say in the interviews, that I am still in college??", I asked him. His prompt reply, "Tell them you are a college drop out & not going to attend anymore", he added, "Who is going to check that??".

There was a ray of hope when Ma Foi consultants called me up for a possible employment with HSBC. HSBC BPO was perhaps the best BPO in the city, offering a decent pay, benefits & facilities. I passed in the qualifying rounds & then headed to HSBC GSC[in Salt Lake]. The first round was a group discussion, followed by a rapid fire round, & then an interview with the HR & final round with Card Services, to see if I am fit to be a sales agent. I guess I couldn't make enough ....& after two days, Ma Foi called me up & said, "Congratulations Gaurav!!You have been offered a position of Customer Service Executive in HSBC GSC[Group Service Centre]." I was feeling great. One issue has been solved,securing a job. But next problem..what shall I tell people, that I have lost a year in college. My social life started shrinking & rarely I used to go out. I was afraid people will ask me that inevitable, unavoidable question, "Your classes, campus interviews, college etc". Though, I was selected by HSBC, but was not given any date of joining. Everyday seemed to be too big for me to live. Getting up in the morning, followed by astrology reading in the forums & then studying for the retest, chatting with friends online...then sleep!!! A regular boring schedule, often interrupted by visiting a pub, drinking alone & then getting the hangover. My savings started decreasing, often spent on buying some books on astrology. Gradually, I turned out to be an unsocial creature, my only company was my best friend, Samrat...till I joined HSBC on Sept. 12, 2006.

This was a traumatic period of my life..a period I dreaded the most.People who have gone through such stages can only empathise with me...& can feel it...
 But I was not aware that there were many more to come [& more in future] & I will write on this ...soon.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment