Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cooking Sous Vide & cooking slow.. Part II

My previous experiment on Sous vide cooking was with Pork---mostly cooked & served well-done, due to the fear of trichinosis. Even, I prefer well-done, well-done to the extent, mostly dry--however, my tests on cooking pork, sous-vide changed the complete outlook towards cooking Pork--well-done & juicy too...& the subtle tenderness.
But this time, I wanted to cook beef. I always wanted to cook short-ribs--abundant fat, meaty & tender & the resultant meat will be juicy. Using the sous vide technique, I tried cooking short-rib. However, my concept was reproducing something from French cuisine & then do a contemporary presentation. So, it was "Boeuf Bourguignon"--braised beef cubes[short rib cubes] in red wine--wine ideally from Burgundy---with an array of root vegetables & also mushrooms--to be served with noodles/pasta or even spatzle--the german dumplings.
I used the sous vide technique cooking short ribs of 200 gm each & using a marinade---Yes, an unusual marinade which is also its braising liquid[Yes, like Sauerbraten]. Its actually a reduction of "Red wine", I used Cabernet Sauvignon, root vegetables[carrot, onion, leek, celery, shallots] an assortment of herbs[rosemary, thyme, parsley], spices[black peppercorn only!!], mushroom trimmings[I mean wild mushrooms], jus[yes, homemade] & finally salt[ yes, a very good salt, not your shitty table salt, but invest in good salt--Maldon salt or any Kosher salt-- I used Fleur de Sal].

The cooking process
The braising liquid, aforesaid, was slipped into individual ziplock bags--with 200 gm of trimmed beef shortribs & properly sealed--taking out as much air I could [I dont have a vacuum pack machine at home] & allowing them to swim in a hot water bath of 55.1 Deg C--Remember, my desired internal temperature is 55.1 deg C--the medium-rare texture of the meet. However, short rib has a lot of collagen, for which one might opt for a temperature above 60 Deg C--for the collagen & fat to dissolve & make the meat more delicious. The cooking process was for entire 24 hours.
After cooking, repack the beef in the same liquid & keep until to ready to use-refrigerated.
The finishing touch
Beef Bourguignon is served traditionally, with an array of root vegetables & vegetables of the earth--mushrooms, spinach as I said before. So before service[yes, for my own service], I seared the meat in a hot pan [to caramelise, thus improving the taste] & cooked the sides.Et Voila..Beef Bourguignon ala Sous vide..is ready!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. hi gaurav,

    if possible cld u mail me budget hotels in calcutta for 3 to 4 days stay...?

    second, is regular bus services are there for darjeeling from kolkatta...? how long it will take to reach...?

    hope everything fine at your end

    best
    sriganeshh

    ReplyDelete