Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cook your steak...

Since I hail from a hindu family[conservative..yes..my family members...] having a steak in a restaurant[forget about cooking at home...]& later flaunting about it at home..is seriously a taboo. Yes, hindus are not supposed to eat beef[i.e. cow's meat!!]due to religious reasons. So I didn't eat it, since my father would not allow us to have beef outside, when we used to go out for dinner every sundays or weekends, when I was a student.
Post-joining the hotel management institute, we were supposed to taste everything[I dare not to eat snake, rat, insects & human flesh!!!]The so-called strict hindus wouldn't eat beef, but I was interested in tasting the first preparation I made with beef, i.e. Consomme & next was Tournedos ala portugaise. Tournedo, a cut from the tenderloin of beef, grilled & cooked, well-done in a tomato based sauce with peppers.However, it was bland for me, however, ever since I started visiting "Olypub" a  popular resto-bar in the most happening place of "Kolkata", aka Calcutta, I always used to have Chateaubriand, a popular cut of the tenderloin, which was served with some fries & some grilled onions...if I can recollect. It was always served well-done,[well, Indian beef, should always be eaten well-done!!!]
Frequent visits to Olypub, added by daily consumption of red meat in the form of Lamb Biryani, increased the protein level in my blood & thus high uric acid, resulted in multiple joint-pains...so control red meat!!!!
Well,from 2006 till end quarter of 2009, I didn't eat beef. Yes...for a long, long time. Excuse I used to give is that "I am a Hindu" or sometimes more subtle,"For obvious reasons, I dont eat beef...medical grounds!!!".
I had Angus beef during my service in Chennai. It was Irish Black Angus, perhaps, it was Sirloin part, that we got in the hotel. Though I restrained myself from eating for a long-time, but the colour of the meat was irresistible!!!So, one fine night, I took the courage of taking one out of the chiller & cooking for myself & yes, cooked medium done. By the way, I have seen guests having rare done & when the plate comes to the kitchen, it is neat & clean..not even a drop of blood...Anyways...seasoning..simple salt & pepper..& no sauce. Taste..well, beyond words to describe. People say about Kobe beef..need to try it next....

Coming to Dubai..well, I didn't have for several months, though the meat available here is of superior quality...yes, all chilled & imported from Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, USA, & also from India & Pakistan. Though, I used to give the same excuse, but one fine day, I bought some 200 gm of Australian Rib-eye steak & then it became a habit...a weekly ritual on my day off. Few friends, were stunned to see that I have started eating beef...in spite of the restrictions.

Now today, after a long time[after 1 month I guess...], cooked a steak for quenching this "hunger", since I was craving to have a steak, of recent..badly!!!I got this wonderful meat, NZ Rib-eye steak this thursday from Spinneys Supermarket & cooked it to my satisfaction.
Rule No.1--->Let your steak be in room temperature. I mean in raw form...else, the heat will never reach inside, unless you are going to have a 500 gm steak, well-done, which means you will have to finish it off in the oven, specially a cut from tenderloin.
Rule No.2--->Season with crushed black pepper & salt only on one side. That means, salt on the presentation side & the other side can be seasoned when you are cooking your steak.
Rule No.3--->If you are grilling in a pan, let it be very hot...yes, very, very hot, put a spoon of oil & then put the steak. You will hear when it sizzles.

I like my steak, burger...medium done. Rest all meat, including lamb...must be well-done!!!
So today's menu....[Just another blasphemic act... lols...]
Grilled Rib-eye steak
Fondant Potato, Grilled Tomato, Redwine-Balsamic Reduction
-
Fondente al cioccolato
Gelato al Pistacchio

1 comment:

  1. lol...I liked this post :). I never understand this connection between "cow" and "hindu".I guess it is okay to eat meat from a cow that is not hindu.Anyways...I like my steak ( if I ever eat one) well done. What i like more is to cut up a piece of sirloin in thin strips and make a stir fry. And I love angus meatballs with my pasta...the ultimate. As long as you can control your red meat intake to 2-3 times a week in small portions ( 90 gm at a time) you don't have to worry about uric acid etc. Also beef can be leaner and healthier than lamb...i rather make goat stew ( which is very very lean) than lamb.

    ReplyDelete