Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chi Mangia bene....Mangia Italiano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally, it means "I eat good, I eat Italian".I dont know, since when I started having a special interest. It was never limited to the Italian soups or Italian pastas[Pizzas..well unless it is the real thin crust one..specially baked in woodfired oven] or even the lovely italian desserts.
Perhaps when I was in my second year of my college, I started having a special knack towards to La Cucina Italiano. Again, I dont know, why I had interest in Italian?I dont know. Is it because of its simplicity??Or is it because of it being simple, yet elegant & flavourful??Or it being colorful?? I remember a chef-cum-restaurant owner in Delhi[I am not sure, whether she is Ritu Dalmia or not...] writes in her cookbook that Italian Cuisine is quite simple as our Indian Cuisine[trust me, few things are never simple....unless you are pretty good in it...].
The first soup in college we were taught "Potage Minestrone"--a hearty vegetable soup, flavoured with tomatoes & small elbow macaronis floating around. Honestly, never liked that soup, as it was never made well. Traditionally, in any Italian home, if they are making it, they make it in the morning & as far as I know, it is a summer soup. The soup being made at least 6 hours before & served for lunch. Almost all vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes[blanched, peeled & seeded ones], an array of beans, carrots, zucchini[these being summer squash!!], broccoli, will go in...[but never baby corn!!I remember my associates in ITC Chola Sheraton. I used to frown upon, as this vegetable should not & must not go in..we are cooking Italian not Oriental or American. So they used to put in my absence!!!] There are dozens of variety of Minestrone, so the colour of Minestrone will depend on what you are actually making. From tomato red[which comes due to addition of tomatoes] to spinachy green[due to addition of spinach puree & pesto] or may remain white. Again, any chunky soup in Italiano is Minestrone!!!
Antipastis--I remember, Dec. 28th, 2005. Few of my college friends used to tease me "Gaurav, we dont doubt your theory...but how about in practical??Let us taste your Italiano foood". I had no options but cook Italian for them. The Antipasti I cooked for them was "Crostini con Uova e carote"--a crusty bread been topped with cooked carrots, eggs little scrambled, topped with some cheese & then finished under the broiler. When I put them in the table, it finished in few seconds...I never got any piece :(... However, after that "accident", I have always resorted to Bruschetta con Pomodori. As it is simple, there is actually no fuss about making it. You need some crusty bread, baguette is the best option, unless you want to use your ciabatta for it. Toast them on both sides, rub some garlic on them, arrange neatly some chopped tomatoes fine, some finely shredded basil on top & drizzle some Olio di Oliva or some extravagant Aceto Balsamico. Voila...excellento!!!! And you can put assorted toppings, but make sure it is Italian!!!
Moving on to Primo Piatti....perhaps Pasta has been the most talked or discussed about or the Pizza, than the soups, risotto, polenta or the gnocchi. Who does not love pasta or like pasta??There has to be exceptionals....
Out of Italy, I think "Spaghetti Bolognese" is most popular, but never in Italy!!!An italian might dislike the idea of putting spaghetti bolognese as the pasta is not strong enough to hold the meat on them. Thumbrule:The sauce must cling with the pasta, be it fresh or dry. Perhaps penne, fusilli, farfalle & fresh tagliatelle will go well bolognese than the worldwide favorite counterpart, Spaghetti. Now where from they learnt making pasta?Historians say Marco Polo got it from Chinese, however, other supporters said it was there before Marco Polo visited China. Who knows....perhaps the answer is with almighty...
Next being risotto. I remember, when I was doing my industrial training in 2005 from ITC Sonar Bangla, in some banquet function we had risotto. Simply out of curiosity, I had a spoon...but it was yuck!!!Never asked myself, why was it "yuck"???After a couple of years, bought 1 kg of arborio rice, with some grana padano[the reasonable alternative to Parmiggiano Reggiano] & cooked risotto at home[never learnt from anyone, or if put other way round, no one taught me!!!] & voila...it was really excellent. Perhaps since then I became a great fan risotto, may be more than the pasta. So the key is if it is made nicely, it will taste good. For it to be successful, make good use of ingredients. As a general thumbrule, for risotto with seafood, it is being finished with a good amount Extra Virgin Olive Oil & some chopped herbs, unlike the other ones, where it is finished with some grated Parmesan & a good dollop of butter.Post joining ITC Chola Sheraton, I often used to make "Porcini Risotto" for guests & for myself, it was "Seafood Risotto". It was utterly delicious!!! :)
Regarding polenta...well I dont like to be cut & then served after grilling them. I always like them warm, afresh.
Moving one plate ahead..its the secondi piatto[piatti also!!]. The vast Italian cuisine often boasts about its "Bistecca alla Fiorentina"[Florentine T-bone steak, but no spinach in it!!!], pollo arrosto, maiale, agnello, anatra & the coastal regions with those two islands viz., Sardinia & Sicily...offers some good "fresca frutta di mare"[fresh seafood]. By now, you should be knowing that I am a lover of seafood..from lobster, to octopus..I must try some sea-urchin soup :)...
The little I speak about Italian secondi-s, better it is, else I will feel hungry :(
Now comes, the most awaited course in the Italian Menu, the course that I have always loved...n will always love...rather I can substitute for all courses in the menu..it is Dolci!!!
Perhaps the list is endless-I am always afraid of missing anything...Tiramisu perhaps the most popular, literally it means "Pick me Up". I wish it was frivolous girl!! ;)
Panna Cotta, means cooked cream, sweet enough, but not too sweet like Tiramisu, flavoured with vanilla traditionally, but chef's choice prevails. Often served with mixed berry compote. Zabaglione or the French sabayon, often is used as a base. Italians use their Marsala wines, with eggs & cook over low heat. Have it as it is...or dip your fruits on it...or the list of Gelatos, Mama Mia....it is said that Italians deserved special credit for the modern ice-creams.
Now I am really getting hungry+i will have to cook my lunch....
Let me share a recipe of "Seafood Risotto" before I get busy in cooking...
Risotto con Frutta di Mare Rustica
Ingredients:
Italian Risotto Rice, preferably Arborio or Carnaroli- 75 gm
Onion- 15 gm[finely chopped]
Garlic-15 gm[finely chopped]
Strong, dark shellfish bisque- 200 ml or more[keep hot]
White wine- 50 ml
Mixed seafood- 100 gm
Sundried Tomatoes- 20 gm[finely chopped]
Fresh basil- 1 sprig[finely shredded]
Olive Oil- 15 ml
Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 15 ml
Seasoning- as required

Method:
1.Heat the olive oil in a saucepan & add in the chopped onion, garlic. Cook till lightly colored & then add in the rice & cook nicely till it crackles.
2. Add in the white wine & reduce until almost dry.Add in the sundried tomatoes.
3. Add 1/3 of the stock & stir well, till the dry. Repeat this process till rice is cooked. Season in between & check continuously for additional seasoning.
4.Once almost done, add in the mixed seafood & cook for about a couple of minutes.
5. Once rice is done, add in the chopped basil & finish with Extra Virgin Olive Oil....

Buon Apetito.....

No comments:

Post a Comment