Friday, January 29, 2010

Around the world in 17 courses....

I remember my first year..we had to memorise [rather mug up!!] the extended form of 12 courses of menu into 17 courses. It was so difficult...& ultimately during my 3rd year...i had to learn for the sake of campus interviews...chronologically!!!
I have been thinking on a write up...how about Around the world in 17 courses??? I started asking my facebook friends, if they have it with them or not, however, got a reply from an ex-IHM student [my sincere thanks to Dolly Punjabi, who helped me out!!!] in a couple of hours for helping me in this write up.
From where to start & where to end???I dont have a clue ...perhaps should have asked my kitchen friends before starting. In Grand Hyatt, Mumbai we had the campaign of around the world in 5 plates...starting with Swiss Bircher Muesli ending the dinner at Thailand. For me, I am an Indian, less experience ...so cant comment on Around the world in 5 plates....
Anyways, without beating around the bush, lets get back to the topic...
1)Hors d'oeuvre (appetizers)
The French Classical Menu starts with the appetisers. Here, I choose the Russian Zakuskis.They are excellent to go alongwith your specially Vodka. Zakuskis are an array of appetisers, however, it can be made of anything, specially cured fish, meats or even vegetables, generally being pickled.In college, I prepared a type of Zakuski, made with cooked chicken, chopped bacon, binded with panada, then formed into small torpedoes, crumbed & deep fried.
2)Potage (soup)
The appetisers are followed by Soups or Potage coming from the pot.In the olden days, it was a kind of a chunky soup, not the one that we often eat in restaurnts today. It is hearty, nutritious soup, in the beginning of the meal. I would go for Cock-a-Leekie soup, which originates from Scotland. It is basically a broth, made with chicken[some go for boiling fowls] & leek and then finished with chopped prunes.
3)Oeufs[ Eggs]
Moving on to this course, I had a lot of options to select, but I to opt for "Chawanmushi" from Japan.I recollect when I was in Chola, used to wait for the breakfast buffet on Wednesdays & to have my share of Chawanmushi. It is basically steamed egg custard, with some seeds like gingko & an array of vegetables, seafood can be added in it & then steamed. Generally eaten as hot or may be eaten cold. Quite akin to the Chinese steamed eggs.
4)Farineaux (rice & pasta)
The starch--this is the course, which offers you some carbohydrate!!! I would select "Jambalaya", which originates from Louisana state of USA--influenced by the French who settled there for ages. It can be a close cousin of the Spanish "Paella", as this rice dish is cooked with Meat, Vegetables & then followed by seafood.
5)Poisson (fish)
I cant think of anything else other than Fish-N-Chips, a classical British dish..almost any pub, specially one with the touch of England, hotel menus will feature this dish. Now people may fight over, shall it be crumb fried??or batter fried???if Crumb fried...it is ala Anglais, else, ala Francaise. Dont forget the tartare sauce with it!!!
6)Entrée
It resembles the *entrance* of the first meat course or the main course.Since white meat is usually served, I will go for Sweet & Sour Chicken, from the Cantonese region of China. An excellent dish, which I have always eaten while merrymaking with friends.
7)Reléve
This course is said to bring in relief after a long chewing..as guests can savour their food slowly. Ideally big joints of red meats are being selected for this course. I have opted for Ossobucco alla milanese con gremolata--an authentic dish from the  Milan, Lombardy, Italy. At the end of the cooking, the braised veal shanks are seasoned with a herb mix of parsley, grated lemon rind & finely chopped garlic--known as "Gremolata". A more traditional version of this mix adds anchovies & sage--risotto milanese is said to accompany this dish.
8)Sorbet
We were taught in college that our hindi word[which is dependent on many language across India & the world] & also the bengali word "Sherbet"/"Sharbat" has its origins from the word, "Sorbet". May be, may not the be. Generally a flavoured water was served in the olden days or may be a glass of champagne, to wash down the palate after a heavy meal & also assists one so that he can enjoy the meals to follow.
I will select the "Agraz" from North Africa. It is made of almonds, verjuice & sugar, a little acidic in taste due to addition of verjuice.
9)Roti
All joints & cuts, are roasted & served, properly garnished & with classical accompaniments. The list is endless like other courses. It compels me to select Roasted Beef, with Yorkshire Pudding, Jus Roti, Horseradish Sauce---an "authentic Sunday Roast" contribution to our 17 courses.
10)Legumes
Vegetables to be precise, are being served in this course. The Mediterranean Moussaka is what I am selecting for this course, of course the vegetarian version. Quite akin to Eggplant Parmesan [Parmiggiana e Melanzane], but it is for layers after layers...like the lasagne, as instead of lasagne sheets, we use sliced eggplants.
11)Salade
Salads???I dont like Salads, rather any salad, except if someone is ready to serve me a good bowl of Waldorf Salad. I remember making it in college once, for a practical class & secondly during my final term. The External Examiner chef came & started asking me about how did I make the salad. I answered all his questions, with integrity & finally when he started asking me, any roots, or aromatics you put??I forgot that I had a celery stick with me lying extra..........
This salad actually is associated with New York, viz. Hotel Waldorf-Astoria, from which the salad derives its name--made of apples, chantilly dressing, walnuts, celery stick[now, I would prefer grated celeriac], & thats it..pretty nutritious..you must have heard, an apple a day, keeps the doctor away..
12)Buffet Froid
Or in English, its the cold buffet. I was giving it a thought, what can be served, till when Gravlax came to my mind.Its a gift from the Scandinavian countries, where the raw salmon is cured with salt, pepper, dill leaves & mustard & allowed to cure for about a week. The salt actually helps to cook the meat & voila...your cold buffet is ready. You have with bread, crackers or even your favorite sandwich.
13)Entremet de Sucre
A sweet touch after a long way....I will go for crema catalana, from Catalunia , Spain. Quite akin to its French counterpart, which is Creme Brulee, however, there is difference. Crema Catalana is always flavoured, generally cinnamon, orange etc, & is never cooked in a bain-marie. Rather thickened with cornstarch, apart from the eggs & cream part.
14)Savoureaux
Again, another course, which helps to wash down the palate again, after something sweet. How about some Chicken Samosa from India?? I cant write anything more..as I am getting hungry now...you should give a try :)..
15)Fromage
Few days before, we had a "Francaise" group, & their omlette order most of the time being "avec fromage", i.e. with Cheese. French seems to have a passion for cheeses---but not any cheese, they have been fussy with their cheeses. I remember Ms. Chouteau[ a long staying guest of Chola Sheraton], who would love to have her "deaux- oeuf sur le plat, avec fromage"...[fried eggs with cheese].
I would go for Camembert de Normandie, a A.O.P. french cheese, but strictly from Normany, France. It is a soft cheese.
16)Desserts
In contrary with its English pronunciation, it is dry fruits & nuts. Its your option....no more from me!! :)
17)Cafe
At last, the final course of the menu[some people will argue this is not a course at all, wutever....!!]. I will go for Irish Coffee....with a good amount of Irish whisky[I am sure, I will not be high again ;) ].

Last but not the least........
It is said Romans could indulge into 17 courses of menu. How?Its humanly impossible!!They had a small room next to the banquetting hall, where they can let everything out [in other words *vomit* out] & then enjoy the following courses.
Now if you are really interested in this 17 course of menu, why not try?I am there to make for you, provided you are ready to wait for it & pay me the money. Of course both are precious, isn't it???

No comments:

Post a Comment