Tuesday, June 10, 2014

One Country Two Rules--- Welcome to Hong Kong

Part II

May 7th, 2014
Day 3

I woke up around 1030 in the morning--hungry! However, this day I wanted to go for a quick city tour, as my other partner in crime, Ivan was unavailable. So, my another partner in call was Chef Simon--an old boss, a confidant and a good friend. Today's destination--just visit Avenue of Stars, Star Ferry and The Peak.
I went out of the then shelter only to find out that it was drizzling lightly. Ever since, I stepped in Hong Kong, I was yet to experience a bright and a sunny day--just a dream.
Star Ferry
Consequently, I had to buy an umbrella and headed towards Avenue of Stars. With such a weather, not an ideal day for photography and hang around the Avenue, we boarded the Star Ferry--iconic as the trademark of any HK photography, Star Ferry has been commuting passengers--locals and tourists for more than a century. Main operational route is Tsim Sha Tsui and Central and also  Tsim Sha Tsui and Chai Wan. Just for HK$2 (or HK$2.5 in case, you want to sit in the upper deck), you can have a glimpse of Hong Kong Island or Kowloon while you are in the waters.
I was just practising how to say "Mhgoi" as Ivan's mom was teaching me the previous day or when to say "Doze" when we landed up in Central Pier.
IFC Mall was just a walking distance--using the Skywalk albeit. I was hungry for not having eaten any breakfast, so it was time for a late lunch in one of the cafes of the high end mall of Hong Kong.
After some progressive blend of Asian and European cuisine, it was time for a walk. Time for a Walk to board the tram for The Peak.
Known otherwise as "Victoria Peak" is one of the major tourist destination of Hong Kong. But on a foggy, cloudy day like that, you would hardly witness any spectacular view of Hong Kong from the top. So we boarded the tram from The Peak station around Central and reached upto an elevation of
552 metre (or 1811 feet) above the ground. The steep track of the tram was thrilling..but all were marred by the terrible weather. There was nothing much to do above, so hopped on to go back. By the way, I lost the umbrella bought in the morning.
 I took  Chef Simon to the HK Labmade Ice-cream to savour the freshest ice-cream --HK toast.
Assorted Sushi
I bid farewell to Chef Simon as we headed home our own "home" (or just home away from home). What to do in the evening?? I started researching in Tripadvisor where to have my dinner that evening. I was longing for some japanese and found out one in the walking distance, "Tonikaku". Though, it was quite hard for me to find one since, the map was quite misleading, however, I was greeted in by the entire Japanese team in that restaurant. Wooden floor, wooden tables and chairs..I knew, I was going to eat good food there.
Perhaps, my main motive was to eat uni and loads of uni, but I also ordered some beef noodle soup with freshly made noodles! And a bunch of sushi...

Beef, Noodles and the stock!! So Tasty
To my surprise the beef noodle soup came in no time, I was expecting the sushi to make its way first though. Both the soup and sushi were phenomenal--I just don't know since when I became fan of Asian and far east cuisine (excuse me for the spicy food). After happily paying HK $330.00,I headed off to hotel room, to get some sleep.





May 8th, 2014
Day 4

Scallop Sashimi
I woke up hungry as usual. After taking a quick shower, I was on a hunt to find out to have some breakfast. Mostly, restaurants not opening before mid-day, I was disappointed. Probably Hong Kongers are not into eating breakfast, I told myself. So just after a coffee in some coffee shop which has multitude of creative coffee--but thanks, just a latte for me, I was in for some lunch again. Umm, yes, Japanese again-- Scallop sashimi, sushi with uni and other sea fishes. Uni is tasty, but not good if you are concerned about your manhood.
It was my last day in Hong Kong, so I wanted to explore the fresh market. And also one place I wanted to visit the legendary Tai Cheong Bakery in Central Hong Kong.
I took the Star Ferry only to walk upto Central just for the egg tarts. With the heavy traffic, crowded streets, skywalks, walking uphill, it took sometime to find the bakery.  Full of people trying a number of delicacies, I had only one intention--buy and eat some egg tarts. I bought about 10 egg tarts (2 for me, and rest to be taken home) and then moved on to the fresh vegetable and fish market. All could I find is that mostly all vegetables are imported. Hardly, anything is grown.
I came back to TST only to find it was drizzling. I quickly went inside a supermarket to buy some noodles and some asian sauces.

My flight was scheduled at 2230 hrs, which meant I should be in the airport by 1930 hours. I checked out around 1800, but it was raining cats and dogs. I was half-drenched and quickly got into a bus onwards to the Airport. It was just about 30 mins to the airport. I checked in my luggage and the flight got delayed by about 3.5 hours due to heavy rains and thunderstorms. So, at 2am of 9th, May 2014 --Dragon Air flight KA 168 departed for NSCBI Airport (or Kolkata airport), while I bid a "See you soon" to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

  1. I just sent this post to a bunch of my friends as I agree with most of what you’re saying here and the way you’ve presented it is awesome.
    For information about Web Designing Dubai or Web Designing Karachi please visit website.

    ReplyDelete