Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Menu for my valentine

"I love bringing roses to a woman when she least expects it."
---Easai Morales

Well, you all know that Valentine' Day is just around the corner and like every year, this year I will be cooking up something dedicated to my love. But then, this year I am more romantic than yesteryears.I dont think so..but then, I already know when I am going to cook, what I am going to cook. This menu is partial to me however (one who eats almost anything and everything.. :P ).
Without beating around the bush, let me propose my menu for *my* valentine' day!



Valentine’s Day Menu
Amuse Bouche
For Her
Tortellini of Braised Lamb, Morel jus
For Him
Scallops Tartare, Mango and Avocado

-
Foie Gras Terrine
Caramelised Granny Smith, Brioche
-
For her 
Cream of Smoked Cauliflower, Caviar creme fraiche
For Him
Oysters & Snails Gratin
Piquillos, Hazelnuts
-
Oeuf Meurette
Seasonal Mushrooms
-
Seared Seabream
Ala printanier
-


For Her
Butter roasted Chicken Breast
Creamy potato Risolee, Snap peas, Truffle Sauce
For Him
Braised Shortribs
Root vegetables


-
Farmhouse cheese, Quince
-
Le Citrus
Orange Pannacotta, Kumquat Pain Perdu, Lemon & Almond Cake


  Inspirations
Almost all of my menus, recipes are backed by inspirations--Nostalgic, romantic, past experiences what I cooked, what I love to eat and what I love to feed and of course, what actually blew me away. This menu also have a lot of memories.
Amuse Bouche
 Both were created at home and when I made it actually..it was wow. I loved both the scallop tartare and torellini of lamb (which were created in two different occasions).First I thought of putting Oyster in the amuse bouche, but it is too cliched as amuse.
Cold Appetiser
I came across very few people who dont like foie gras. Lets admit it, if Egyptians left any legacy behind, which were perfected by French gastronomists--it is foie gras. Period. I like the combination of Foie Gras terrine with Green apples (acidity+fat..remember? ) and some home-made brioche.
Hot Appetiser
The oyster-snails gratin is an inspiration from an anonymous blogger, who actually gratinated with beurre maitre d'hotel (garlic+parsley butter in layman's words) and topped with breadcrumbs and cheese. My version is a little bit different. I cook them *quickly* in a veloute with piquillos (for giving the false "heat") and for some nuttiness, hazelnuts and some gorgeous parmesan on top. Simple..huh?
Smoked cauliflower soup is a just step forward to what I learnt was the smoked cauliflower puree. No, not any smoking liquid bull****, but yes, properly smoked! And then follow the recipe a quenelle of creame fraiche +caviar. Simple and classy!
The Egg
I don't know why did I add an Easter favorite to this Valentine' Menu "Oeuf Meurette",  or the poached eggs in red wine sauce--from Burgundy, France. Perhaps, because eggs represent fertility, birth or a new generation. But let me tell you, when I made this for the first time, I fell in love with it.
The Fish course
This is just a simple fish course. Locally sourced, sea bream with spring vegetables--asparagus, artichoke, carrots and fresh favas. Colourful and delightful
The Main course
Chicken breast for her, is just a replica of what I used to do in a french restaurant and I can vouch for it that it was amazing. So, something foolproof, I would like to do for her.
And for him, it is just braised beef. Period.
The Cheese
I love cheese with a glass of port. And Quince.
The Dessert
For long I wanted to do an assiette of desserts..a small dessert taster--yes, all involved with citrus fruits and thus aptly named "Le Citrus".

After all this (of course, all courses being paired with a glass of wine) I would like to quote Robert Browning, "So, fall asleep loved by me...for I know love, I am loved by thee."

Any thoughts you have ? Please share...

No comments:

Post a Comment