Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Grand Christmas Menu...2012

"I will have a blue christmas, without you,
I will be so blue just thinking about you...."

I am humming this song day & night (and it is so favorite to me right now!) and alas...the best time of the year is here.... "Christmas".
For the past few years (read: Since I joined hospitality) Christmas has been all about cooking at home...4 courses 5 courses or may be all foods brought together on the table.Be it the simple & humble roast chicken or a couple of desserts--the rum soaked fruit cake was a must--all that I would prepare if I am at home in Christmas.
Since 2009, things have changed a bit--I am staying overseas--Dubai, if you quite dont follow my whereabouts. Working on the christmas day means, there is no chance of cooking at home like that, so the *special* menu has to be substituted on some other day,and when I am free to cook for myself (unless there is someone else who wants to tag along!)

I was thinking for the past few months what to cook for this year's christmas & finally came up with a brilliant menu--which are actually gathered through my past experience, seasonal availability & of course, what money can offer-- a decadent 6 course menu, with unlimited wine (which I hope). Again, I will have to clean up whatever I have in my freezer (I am leaving Dubai soon...!!).

The most important part of the menu is featuring Canadian Lobster--I have dreamed long to cook a butter poached lobster, but this year, money permitted to buy one. So there you go, a baby lobster featured with the lobster risotto. And then, it is too much mise-en place (preparations before actual cooking of the meal) & when it comes to cooking for one person. Anyways, without beating around the bush,here is my Grand Christmas menu...

Tartare de Saumon sale
Marinated Oranges, Seaweed Caviar
-
Foie gras de Canard poele
Walnut brioche, Cherries
-
Risotto au Homard Bleu
Butter Poached Atlantic Lobster, Tarragon Oil
-
Caille braisee
Winter fruits & vegetables, Port wine jus
-
Le Fromage
Crackers, quince jam
-
Le Surprise de Noel
Nougat & Raspberry terrine, Pistachio


Joyeaux Noel. Bon Appetit. :)
Notes:
Tartare de Saumon sale
I learnt this way of curing salmon at my present employment-tried at home then transformed it into a tartare--the result was marvelous.Oranges are good to go with salmon. The seaweed caviar gives a good texture to the finished product.
Foie gras de Canard poele
Pan fried foie gras with cherries, balsamic & walnut brioche. It has to be a winter favorite. Period.
Risotto au Homard Bleu
Cooking this at home is like a dream come true. The base of the risotto is going to be lobster bisque--which we get from the same shells of the lobster used for butter poached lobster. Again, butter poached lobster is paying homage to Chef Thomas Keller. As a quick tip, I blanched the live lobster for 1 min in aromatic salted water & removed the shells from the tail & claws & then once cleaned--the meat straight to the freezer
Caille braisee
This is just a simple stuff. Boneless quail stuffed with some dry fruits & nuts formed into a roll. Then seared & finally cooked in its own jus, which has essence of port wine reduction. Served with beetroot, sweet potato puree, carrot & fresh apricot.
Le Fromages
Assorted farmhouse (and my favorite) cheeses with homemade quince jam. Delicious
Le Surprise de Noel
I name it as "christmas surprise" because I am using nougat, which reminds me of christmas. It is a frozen layered dessert with raspberry sorbet which again, is encased in a white chocolate shell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment