Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Trauma

The Trauma
Part II
The Trauma of Four Months...

I remember it was December 25, 2008. I was busy at home, cooking for a festive menu for my mom & bro. In the midst of the cooking in the evening, I called up ACE employment services, a career consultant in Mumbai [I was in Kolkata then] to follow up about the date of joining[and also an update on the visa status] for Atlantis, in Palm Jumeirah, Dubai--since I was supposed to join there. I dont remember the person's name I spoke to, however, the news I got from the agent was disappointing, "Sorry Gaurav, Atlantis is no longer in a position to hire people--due to recession in Dubai. Like you, applications of many people have been cancelled." I was speechless for sometime...
I told my mom about it. I dont remember what she said, but she didn't react to it. It was so expected, I felt from the way she behaved. Well, I left Mumbai on October 26th, 2008, for Kolkata for two reasons-1)to fix my passport, which was valid through only till December that year & for applying visa, the passport has to be  valid for the next 6 months and 2)to meet my family members--I was missing them so much.

After coming back to Kolkata, I headed to the passport office & applied for the re-issue of my damaged passport....although after initial hassles & the reluctance of the officials there, it was fixed in a couple of weeks & I sent the new passport copy to the agent[Fortunately, the agent never charged me money!!!] and I was eagerly waiting for a reply from them.... "Do you have any update on my visa?", & the immediate answer would be, "Nothing as of now". In the meantime, I clearly remember, Atlantis had a grand opening & we saw that in the television. It was fascinating to see such a grand opening in the middle of crisis & then what happened, you all know that....

Almost all hotels are busy around Christmas & New year's time, so knocking their doors for a job that time, would be futile. Some would suggest me "Send us an email with your CV" & then never revert back whilst others would reject my plea outright, "We dont have any opening right now". I was getting frustrated..though my mother could understand my emotions & feelings..being jobless !!!

Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai & other cities, where I can get a job, at least a good job!!!That's all I wanted & when things improve, I can try abroad again, I used to tell myself. Finally, there were rays of hope & it was in Chennai....and then one in Vizag. Don't forget, I was almost penny less since almost my savings were spent & I was living on my parents' contribution, which means, I will have to minimise my expenses, to accommodate my needs. No going out with friends [even if they asked me], eating less outside, more at home & no more luxury cooking on weekends, rather eat what is being cooked at home.
***
The first call was from ITC Chola Sheraton, first property of ITC in India looking for a Kitchen Associate but what suprised them[and still people me ask me that same question when they look at my CV], "Why such a short tenure in Grand Hyatt, Mumbai?", I could say nothing else than personal reasons, until I really came to Dubai & revealed the real reason, which I wrote before.  Anyways, coming back to our discussion & after some 30 minutes interview over the phone, with the Executive chef, he called me to Chennai for a food trial. It was good...I made a warm pasta salad, a mushroom soup, grilled fish with pomme de terre ecrasse, asparagus & pomegranate jus & for dessert, white chocolate pannacotta with glazed strawberries. He liked my presentation [which was still disastrous those days!!!] & asked me when can I join? I was a little perplexed since, I could make it & I said, "Only after 1 month,", which meant not before March 3, 2009. I was almost starving till 5 pm..since I had only a cup of tea in the morning, around 9 am!!!

I went out...informed my mom & had some food...and wrote in a friends' networking website, "At least Sun has risen in the South", which was confusing, since Sun rises in the east.

The Park, located in Vishakhapatnam[Vizag in short] also accepted my application for a position but as a Kitchen Assistant & my food trial was good, which was again their menu, a simple grilled chicken with mashed potato & pepper sauce. I was offered that job also. But less salary...so I had to judge which one to go for...the one in Chennai was giving better salary & also accommodation[which I needed anywhere else than in Kolkata], whilst Vizag was disastrous--less salary & that city is expensive to live in.

So finally, I decided to settle in Chennai for the time being....

Yes, another dark spot in my CV for having no job for four months..those four months have been traumatic...God, I dont want such setbacks again in my life....and later I used to think, "Are all these incidents, actually a lesson/blessing in disguise???

No comments:

Post a Comment